Manny signs with Padres

weams

2 hours ago, vab said:

How long before he's out of there? I'd say less than 3 years.

This.  I'd put the over/under on him being traded to NYY or Boston at 3 years, and I'd bet the under.  This is all just an AROD-Texas redux.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course, its a perfect signing for them.  I dont know how anyone could critique this deal in anyway outside of positive or lean neutral if you are looking at it from the Padres' perspective.  Its even better if they somehow get Harper too.  

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

San Diego hasn't had a winning season since 2007, 1 playoff win in the past 20+ years

Make the O's look like a successful organization.

I see them continuing their success after devoting 30 million/year to Charlie No-Hustle.

Is that you, Jerry Coleman?  Lol....

Good for Manny! I wish him all the best luck. Except for the 12 games he might play against us in the next 10 years.

This is the BEST news! Unlike a lot of folks on here I still like Manny. There was always a bad edge to him but it didn't bother me. I was really just hoping he wouldn't end up in Boston or Skankeeland where I might grow to not like him. And I didn't want that.

1 minute ago, scOtt said:

Good for Manny! I wish him all the best luck. Except for the 12 games he might play against us in the next 10 years.

This is the BEST news! Unlike a lot of folks on here I still like Manny. There was always a bad edge to him but it didn't bother me. I was really just hoping he wouldn't end up in Boston or Skankeeland where I might grow to not like him. And I didn't want that.

Agreed....I'll be rooting for him. Very happy we don't have to play him much. 

I know the Padres have prospects and young players poised to break out, but they just seem like the old LA Clippers of the NBA. Meaning no matter what they do they always find a way to not get better. Maybe I'm wrong, but if not it's going to make those 10 years feel like an eternity for Manny. Poetic justice? Maybe. 

4 minutes ago, esmd said:

This.  I'd put the over/under on him being traded to NYY or Boston at 3 years, and I'd bet the under.  This is all just an AROD-Texas redux.

It isn’t, because ARod’s deal in 2001 is the equivalent of $550-600 mm today.    

1 minute ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I see reports he's moving to 3rd. This only makes sense, but has he said anything about it? Last he talked significantly he was all about SS. He is magical at 3rd. 

300 million reasons to move to 3rd is very convincing.

8 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I see reports he's moving to 3rd. This only makes sense, but has he said anything about it? Last he talked significantly he was all about SS. He is magical at 3rd. 

Anything about his position and SD has been through the lens of Tatis Jr most likely staying at SS.  I think it was always a given Manny would play 3B in San Diego.  

4 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

What he wanted all along. Good for him, I suppose. I'm glad we will only very rarely see him.

I'll probably tune in to the MLB highlights summaries to see what dazzling plays he's making nightly. I don't have much time to pay much attention to the NL, especially with so many of his games being on the West Coast and ending in the wee hours for us over here. Overall, very GLAD he's not in the the AL, specifically, the East.  ;) Don't want him beating the O's regularly. 

Biggest organizational failure in the history of this franchise will be letting Machado walk out that door. Sit back and watch him give the Padres 60-70 wins over the next 10 years leading up to his HOF induction wearing a Padres hat. Orioles can't afford him. He doesn't want to play anywhere that isn't a big market. Wants to be on one of the premier franchises, a small market has no shot. We are rebuilding and it will take 10 years so what is the point of signing him? Excuse after excuse after excuse, what this city/fanbase is famous for. Remember all that? Boom goes the dynamite to blow it all to smithereens. Every bit of it. 

Archived