Manny signs with Padres

weams

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Wow, Twitter is truly an awful place.  Leave it to Keith Law to attack him for his religion.

Eh, the problem isn't Twitter itself, or any other social media outlet like Facebook.  The problem is the people on it.  We deal with them in our everyday lives offline too.  The older I get, the more I find that I just don't want to be around or interact with a lot of people....it's why I have very few close friends and a lot of "acquaintances."

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

Eh, the problem isn't Twitter itself, or any other social media outlet like Facebook.  The problem is the people on it.  We deal with them in our everyday lives offline too.  The older I get, the more I find that I just don't want to be around or interact with a lot of people....it's why I have very few close friends and a lot of "acquaintances."

Get off my lawn!  :)

7 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Have another beer, Aubrey.  SMH.  Drinking and keyboards don't mix well.

Huff weighed in several times in the comment section and his responses are pretty funny.    Rejected WAR as a “nerd” stat and said he was talking about “real” stats.    Said if he was playing today he’d make $100-150 mm.    

Huff made $58 mm in his career.   In his FA years, 1 WAR was worth $5.0-6.5 mm, compared to $8 mm today.  There’s no way Huff ever would have made $100 mm in today’s market.   $80 mm, maybe.   Or he would have been one of those one-dimensional guys who was unemployed during the first week of spring training.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Huff weighed in several times in the comment section and his responses are pretty funny.    Rejected WAR as a “nerd” stat and said he was talking about “real” stats.    Said if he was playing today he’d make $100-150 mm.    

Huff made $58 mm in his career.   In his FA years, 1 WAR was worth $5.0-6.5 mm, compared to $8 mm today.  There’s no way Huff ever would have made $100 mm in today’s market.   $80 mm, maybe.   Or he would have been one of those one-dimensional guys who was unemployed during the first week of spring training.  

Huff had some good years. No reason to discredit his career because he says stupid things all the time. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Huff had some good years. No reason to discredit his career because he says stupid things all the time. 

Frobby did no such thing.  Huff is the one comparing himself to Machado and publicly declaring his disdain for analytics.  There is only one way a comparison of Machado and Huff can come out.  Realizing that Huff simply doesn't compare with Manny Machado is not a matter of discrediting Huff's career.  You really do say the strangest things sometimes.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

He became a free agent after 2006.  His four prior seasons were worth 1, 0.9, 4.2, and 4 wins, for a weighted value of just under 2.0 wins a season.  A $5M/win he should have expected something like a 3/21 deal.  I think O's actually gave him a 3/20 deal.  So, yeah Orioles for at least backing into a reasonable contract.  If that was today at $8M a win maybe he gets 3/28 or so.

But he would have gotten hammered in 2010.  He was in a -1.8 WAR walk year, 4.1 the year before, but under 1.0 the two years prior.  In today's climate he probably gets a 1/3 deal or something to try to prove himself.  Then he has a career year at 33 (strange, but okay), and he might have gotten a fairly large contract after that... which would have been totally regrettable.

So maybe he would make a bit more cash in today's climate, but comp to Manny is laughable.  He completely misses the idea that Ernie Banks and Frank Howard were similar hitters but Banks was a automatic HOFer and Howard will never go in because Banks was a good shortstop for 10 years.

Ugh those Huff tweets. Everything wrong with old school baseball thinking. And there's a lot RIGHT about old school baseball thinking, none of which he put on display. I liked Huff for speaking out about anxiety/depression, but that tweet storm basically lost most of my respect for the guy. 

I have a pointless question that I wish I could have answered. We all know Manny foamed at the mouth to go play with the Yankees. He met with them and whatever happened didn’t work for Manny. But then I heard Manny really wanted to stay on the easy coast. So my hypothetical question is..... 

If the Orioles stepped up and matched SD offer to Manny would he have chosen to come back to Baltimore or would he have still chose SD? I’ll never know the answer. But I do wonder. 

Just now, Bmorebirds24 said:

I have a pointless question that I wish I could have answered. We all know Manny foamed at the mouth to go play with the Yankees. He met with them and whatever happened didn’t work for Manny. But then I heard Manny really wanted to stay on the easy coast. So my hypothetical question is..... 

If the Orioles stepped up and matched SD offer to Manny would he have chosen to come back to Baltimore or would he have still chose SD? I’ll never know the answer. But I do wonder. 

I don't.

Archived