Maybe too soon to ask about Mike Wright

Philip

16 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I know with Wright to wait until the real games count by now. Would be nice for a pitching prospect to figure it out for once or not get hurt.

Is that too much to ask as an Orioles fan? ?‍♂️

Yeah! Except for Bedard for one year and then Arrietta after he was traded, ours never seem to click and really take that next step. Be nice if the new regime could have some success(ES).

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Yeah! Except for Bedard for one year and then Arrietta after he was traded, ours never seem to click and really take that next step. Be nice if the new regime could have some success(ES).

I have faith Elias and Co. will remedy the long pitching prospect drought.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Why can't these reporters read a schedule?

We’ll only list four starters here since the Orioles don’t technically need a fifth until the third week of the season. - Joe Trezza

If there’s no room in the rotation, especially with early off-days eliminating the need for a fifth starter until April 10, the Orioles can return him to their bullpen to provide coverage for multiple innings. - Roch

The truth this the O's play 5 games in a row between March 30 and April 3rd.   So the fifth starter is need the first week of the season.

These guys are driving me nut?  Just NUTS!  What else do they have to do but report the information correctly.

Trezza is not very good so far. I saw he posted a 25 man roster update shortly after the thread started online here. Real out of touch. 

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Just look at this stupid  article written but Joe Trezza.

1) First he reports the O's do not need a 5th starter until the 3rd week of the season which could not be  more wrong.

2) Then he contradict himself by saying they only need 4 starters and then lists 5 starters at the bottom of the article .  Come on, Joe.  At least be consistent inside the same article.

3) Then he show incredibly bad judgement by saying the Ortiz will make the bullpen.   Why?   Does he watch or listen to the games?    Can he read a box score?  Ortiz has given up 8 runs in 5 innings this  spring after giving up 4 runs in 2.1 innings in his September callup.  He is about three days  from being sent the minors.

How am I supposed to have any faith is Trezza's reporting when I can't trust the facts he states, the consistency in his  writing or the baseball judgement that he apparently does not have.

AAAAgh.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/orioles-opening-day-roster-preview

Unless I’m misinterpreting it, the list at the bottom is from MLB.com, not Trezza.   Trezza’s list is above and doesn’t include Ortiz.  

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Unless I’m misinterpreting it, the list at the bottom is from MLB.com, not Trezza.   Trezza’s list is above and doesn’t include Ortiz.  

I thought Trezza  is Orioles.com for MLB.  Isn't that his job.

Ok, just got a chance to watch Mike Wright's performance between the 9,000 commericals you have to watch when jumping around in the MLB TV package (stay far away from this cash grab garbage from MLB).

I'd love to say I can see why Wright has not allowed a run this spring, but I'm here to tell you that from my perspective, it's a mirage. 

Wright needed 54 pitches to get through his three scoreless innings with Pirate batters having a lot of deep counts and fouling off pitches. Wright was 91-92 on most fastballs but did touch 93-94 on a few occasions. He still can't command his fastball gloveside. He threw a lot of cutters in the 86-89 range, but I don't think it's a pitch that he will have longterm success with. Batters seemed like they were surprised by the pitch but he left a lot of them in the middle of the plate that were taken for strikes.

He still doesn't have a putaway pitch meaning he's still going to be a high pitch count guy and when he's not lucky, he still going to get hammered. His change was his best offspeed pitch for movement, but he only threw one that he commanded well, the rest were non competitive pitches. He did throw a couple of sliders and curveballs but they were not effective.

It looks like to me that Wright has replaced his sinker with a cutter and that scouting report hadn't gotten out yet. The rest of the stuff is what he's always had. I'm not buying this at all, especially in a starter's role. If they wanna try him as a longman and see how the cutter holds up then I guess I'm ok with that, but this is not some significantly improved Wright. Oh, and he still had to walk off the mound and gather himself when he threw a bad pitch in the first inning, so that whole composure thing is still not really there.

As Elias says, spring training stats don't mean a lot, and i believe his success is more of a spring training mirage then some new and improve Mike Wright. I wish I had better news to report.

Oh, and if hear one more "analyst" talk about Arrieta and Wright in the same breath I will throw up. Wright is not going anywhere and becoming Arrieta. 

3 hours ago, oceanicvoyage said:

Sorry to rain on wildcard's parade, but they don't need a 5th starter until the 3rd time through (April 11).

Those 5ish straight days are bookend by off days. So, to keep the top 4 guys on somewhat normal rest you can skip SP5 twice.

March 28th SP1, 29th Off day, 30th SP2, 31st SP3,  April 1st SP4, 2nd SP1, 3rd SP2, 4th SP3, 5th Off day, 6th SP4, 7th SP1, 8th SP2, 9th SP3, 10th SP4, 11th SP5.

Or am I somehow wrong like the 3 reporters.

Anytime you play 5 straight days you need a 5th starter. They play March 30-April 3.

Your April 3 starter is only on 3 days rest.  

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It was Trezza’a list from the first time he projected the roster before spring training started.  

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/o-s-opening-day-roster-prediction-c303767988

Thanks.    I noticed that article called it “our” first attempt.    So it’s not clear if it was exclusively Trezza’s list.    In any event I think Trezza is off the hook for that particular criticism.   

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Thanks.    I noticed that article called it “our” first attempt.    So it’s not clear if it was exclusively Trezza’s list.    In any event I think Trezza is off the hook for that particular criticism.   

Not the hook, your hook. 

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah he could have worded it a little different. 

That said I don’t know how anyone can keep Fry off the roster. 

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not the hook, your hook. 

He was wrong what he said about when they needed a 5th starter but the bottom was his projection BEFORE camp opened. 

He isn’t predicting Ortiz making the roster now.  

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So he’s still on your hook for saying on Feb. 10 he thought Ortiz was a frontrunner to make the roster?    That’s ridiculous.

He put it in the same article.  That is his decision of contradict himself.

Archived