Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?

Frobby

Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Would you offer Austin Hays the Scott Kingery deal?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/28/19 at 16:20

I"m not against it in concept, but don't believe Hays is the guy you do it for, at least not right now.

I get that he stood out in spring training, but he's coming off a bad year and hot streaks happen all the time in baseball, especially in spring training, and I'm not sure his OBP profile is what we're going to want long term if he isn't a really dynamic hitter. I think of it more as the Evan Longoria treatment than the Scott Kingery treatment. If you have a unique talent, you absolutely try to lock him up as early as possible. I really like Hays, but I still have to think he has a fair chance of busting too, so I'm not going there. Same with Diaz. I like him, but he may not have the power stroke to be the threat we all hope. 

So I guess what I'm saying is I'm all for it, but for better prospects. 

One last thing, the best dealers in the world buy low and sell high. If the O's see a top 20 type of prospect, they should do it. I just get the sense that Hays' probabilities are too low to make that plunge.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I"m not against it in concept, but don't believe Hays is the guy you do it for, at least not right now.

I get that he stood out in spring training, but he's coming off a bad year and hot streaks happen all the time in baseball, especially in spring training, and I'm not sure his OBP profile is what we're going to want long term if he isn't a really dynamic hitter. I think of it more as the Evan Longoria treatment than the Scott Kingery treatment. If you have a unique talent, you absolutely try to lock him up as early as possible. I really like Hays, but I still have to think he has a fair chance of busting too, so I'm not going there. Same with Diaz. I like him, but he may not have the power stroke to be the threat we all hope. 

One last thing, the best dealers in the world buy low and sell high. If the O's see a top 20 type of prospect, they should do it. I just get the sense that Hays' probabilities are too low to make that plunge.

I get what you are saying but at this level of compensation the player doesn't have to be all that skilled to be worth it.  As I said earlier this is pretty much the money Schoop has made over the same period of time.

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I agree, I think there is a little too much risk right now. If Hays goes to Norfolk and is looking like 2017 Hays mid-season, then I'd give him this deal and promote him. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I get what you are saying but at this level of compensation the player doesn't have to be all that skilled to be worth it.  As I said earlier this is pretty much the money Schoop has made over the same period of time.

Reasonable people can probably disagree on this one. The money isn't huge. His upside is pretty substantial. Elias et al are in a much better position to make that determination though.

Another way of thinking about this is to put Hays in a Red Sox uniform and say he turns into what you think is his most likely FV. Does he crack their World Series starting lineup? I'm not saying he doesn't. I'm just not sure he does. Is that the guy we want to lock up early?