O's Claim Catcher Pedro Severino

wildcard

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

Could be that with the increase in playing time that he's just seeing the ball better or with the analytics he's got a good idea of what they are trying to do to him.

Pitchers will now make some adjustments back with him so we will see how this plays out after the big game.

I like his approach at the plate though. 

And if you're getting 200 AB as a backup catcher, those are 200 spread out ABs. Backup catchers have it the worst, they are never able to get on any kind of roll. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

My question is, why did BA rank him as a top prospect?   Did they believe he had more offensive potential that his offensive numbers showed, or did they just like his defense?

Some scouts liked his tools offensively more than his output. They just felt like he needed to make adjustments to his approach. In my mind, the most likely explanation is that he's using the analytics numbers to know what the pitchers are trying to do to him now. As a bi-lingual catcher, I'm guessing he's pretty smart so it would not surprise me if we find out that is part of his no-approach that is allowing him to decrease is OSwing%. 

He's barreled 10 balls (12.2% vs 6.2% MLB avg) already this year after barreling only 4 balls his whole career before this season. His Hard hit % is 31.7 % (Just under 34.3 % MLB avg) and he's dropped his K% 20 (21.5% MLB AVG) and upped his BB% to 10% (8.3%).

All of these metrics indicate there's a good chance of sustained success. 

Regardless, he will be a good guy to keep an eye and i hope the Orioles continue to give him everyday PAs and not relegate him to platoon catcher with Sisco.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

But, wasnt it better than 2007 or 2008, when we ran a bunch of Mark Reyonds at SS? :)

It's not that he just a bad fielder, it's that he was a "dumb" baseball player with well below average baseball IQ. Whether it was lining up wrong for cutoffs, making bad tags, or not having his feet right when trying to turn double plays, he just did a lot of things poorly for a guy who has played so much baseball. 

Great raw tools that will just never be realized because of his lack of baseball instincts in the field.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

It's not that he just a bad fielder, it's that he was a "dumb" baseball player with well below average baseball IQ. Whether it was lining up wrong for cutoffs, making bad tags, or not having his feet right when trying to turn double plays, he just did a lot of things poorly for a guy who has played so much baseball. 

Great raw tools that will just never be realized because of his lack of baseball instincts in the field.

I guess at his age, he is beyond coachable.

So we enjoy his bat for the next 2 years while this team rebuilds.

15 minutes ago, interloper said:

And if you're getting 200 AB as a backup catcher, those are 200 spread out ABs. Backup catchers have it the worst, they are never able to get on any kind of roll. 

Yep. I'm hoping they at least split right-handed pitching between Pedro and Sisco and allow Sisco to do some DHing, sending Mancini to 1B and Davis to the bench where he belongs until they can release him.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I guess at his age, he is beyond coachable.

So we enjoy his bat for the next 2 years while this team rebuilds.

He's been coached up by some of the best, including Mike Bordick. Some guys just aren't able to take coaching to the field consistently, especially when the game speeds up.

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Did you see them dingers tho? Jokes aside, the swings on those things were beautiful. 

The second home run was the noisiest I have ever heard. It was out of the park the second you heard the crack. I was hearing Joe Angel screaming,”fly ball home run!” Because it was, baby.

But that bonehead throw to second, where he hit Andrus(?) woooboy was that dumb. And Poor Andrus saying,”why is everybody always pickin’ on me?” Seriously, his expression was one for the ages.

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Some scouts liked his tools offensively more than his output. They just felt like he needed to make adjustments to his approach. In my mind, the most likely explanation is that he's using the analytics numbers to know what the pitchers are trying to do to him now. As a bi-lingual catcher, I'm guessing he's pretty smart so it would not surprise me if we find out that is part of his no-approach that is allowing him to decrease is OSwing%. 

He's barreled 10 balls (12.2% vs 6.2% MLB avg) already this year after barreling only 4 balls his whole career before this season. His Hard hit % is 31.7 % (Just under 34.3 % MLB avg) and he's dropped his K% 20 (21.5% MLB AVG) and upped his BB% to 10% (8.3%).

All of these metrics indicate there's a good chance of sustained success. 

Regardless, he will be a good guy to keep an eye and i hope the Orioles continue to give him everyday PAs and not relegate him to platoon catcher with Sisco.

I agree with this. I hadn't looked at Severino's stats before last night's game, but what stood out is he is taking way more walks than he ever did in the past. Aside from the walks/OBP, he did hit like this while in AAA for the Nationals. I too think there's a chance of sustained success with him. He is more patient and as a result, pitchers can't get him out on pitchers pitches so he's getting better pitches to hit and he's not missing them. More time is needed, but I don't think it's so easy in this case to write it off as some kind of flash-in-the-pan success. He has definitely changed something in his approach this year. We'll just have to wait and see whether he can keep it going or not, but I think he should be our starting catcher right now and see what he does with it. Sisco should be for when/if Severino regresses back to his former self, but not before.

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

That -0.5 dWAR though makes you remember why I couldn't wait for Beckam to leave.

Also Beckham has crashed back to earth offensively. .880 OPS in Mar/Apr and a .713 OPS in May. And in three June games his OPS is .000. 

And in the last 4 weeks Beckham's OPS is .608. He isn't worth the trouble at SS with that glove and poor fundamentals. 

Improved LD% too. I get (and agree with) all of the caveats, but this guy could turn into a solid starting Catcher. That's valuable. In a perfect world, he'd have a full good year. I think it would take that type of performance for other teams to value him enough to make a decent trade offer. You never know though.

45 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Thanks I was about to say the same. I’ll never be convinced Bautista just figured it out without “help”.

I never say that someone used PEDs without real evidence like an admission or a failed test.  I don't think circumstantial evidence amounts to much.  People had crazy spikes in performance in 1890 or 1920 or 1940, and I'm guessing those mostly weren't 'roids.  Could Bautista have been on undetectable designer 'roids?  Sure.  Could he have taken his untapped natural ability, moved up on top of the plate, and drastically altered his swing path and approach, while channeling some Satanic help?  Yep, that could explain it, too.  Yes, he went from 13 homers in a partial season to 54 homers in 161 games.  But he'd had minor league season of 24, he was Rule 5ed out of A ball and bounced to four organizations in a year.

PEDs exist, people still take them, but unless there's some evidence I try to give the benefit of the doubt.