The Defense Thread, 2019

Frobby

Game 4, April 1

- Trey Mancini made a nice sliding catch on a bloop to short RF to keep Toronto hitless.

- Richie Martin started a nice 6-4-3 DP that was quickly turned and barely nipped the runner at 1B.

- In the 9th inning with one on, the batter hit a hard grounder up the middle that ricocheted off Bleier’s leg and towards SS.    Richie Martin, who had headed to the middle on contact, somehow reversed course and made a diving stop, scrambled to his feet, set himself enough to get something on the throw and nailed the batter by a half step.    Worthy of SportsCenter top 10 IMO.

- The next batter hit a fly ball into the RCF Bermuda Triangle, with Martin, Mullins and Rickard giving shade.   Martin went a very long way at full speed and attempted an over the shoulder catch but the ball popped out of his glove just as Rickard slid past him.    Second time in three days that we narrowly missed a catch in that area in the 9th inning, with the outfielders playing super deep.   And both times I think the guy who almost made the catch was distracted by the other players nearly colliding with him.   

- With two outs in the 9th, Theoscar Hernandez hit a ball in the LCF gap.    Dwight Smith tried for a lunging catch but whiffed.   I think some LFers would have caught it, but not necessarily the ones who play for us.  On the relay in, Martin tried to throw Hernandez out at 3B but bounced the throw and it hit Hernandez.    Luckily it did not bounce away and the runner couldn’t try for home.   

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Pretty sure it was Villar, in the shift, who went into the Bermuda triangle and got his glove on the fly ball.  He went a long way.

Whoever it was, it was dangerous when he slid spikes up and Rickard was diving in face first. Luckily, Rickard slid on the outside and avoided a face full of cleat.

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Pretty sure it was Villar, in the shift, who went into the Bermuda triangle and got his glove on the fly ball.  He went a long way.

One of those balls that all of our internal spidey senses told us he had no chance on but he still came oh so close. Reminded me of the Valera catch against the A's last September, and would have been my second favorite play so far this season, after the Martin play which preceded it!

Game 5, April 2

- Chris Davis made a diving stop of a ball down the line and tossed to Cashner to save a double.   

- Davis also scooped a Villar throw from deep in the hole to get the third out when Toronto had a rally going.  

- Ruiz stopped a ball down the line but his throw was weak and arrived late on a hop.    

- Villar, playing SS but in 2B position, dove to cut off a grounder into the shift that was headed right for Alberto in short RF but couldn’t make the throw.    I think Alberto would have had a much easier play.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Game 6, April 3

I didn’t see any of this game, so folks will have to chime in with any notable good or bad plays.    The only one I know is that Rio Ruiz charged a slow roller and overthrew first base for an error.   

I saw replays of Mullins making a running catch at CF wall and Mancini tumbling and catching ball hit over his head at RF wall.  Both fine plays!

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Game 6, April 3

I didn’t see any of this game, so folks will have to chime in with any notable good or bad plays.    The only one I know is that Rio Ruiz charged a slow roller and overthrew first base for an error.   

There was another slow roller where Ruiz was too slow in fielding the ball and getting rid of it.  Looked like he underestimated the runner's speed.  Ruled a hit but should have been an out.  

Another similar play where the runner just beat his throw.  If he had barehanded it rather than gloving the ball in that situation her may have gotten him.  

All in all, I'm less bullish on Ruiz's fielding than I was a few days ago.  He seems sure-handed enough, but the throwing has been a little erratic and arm strength for third looks a little below average. 

17 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

There was another slow roller where Ruiz was too slow in fielding the ball and getting rid of it.  Looked like he underestimated the runner's speed.  Ruled a hit but should have been an out.  

Another similar play where the runner just beat his throw.  If he had barehanded it rather than gloving the ball in that situation her may have gotten him.  

All in all, I'm less bullish on Ruiz's fielding than I was a few days ago.  He seems sure-handed enough, but the throwing has been a little erratic and arm strength for third looks a little below average. 

One of those plays was the Danny Jansen "stumble out of the box" play. Ruiz seemed to think that gave him more time and he gloved it instead of bare handed it.

I didn't see the error at the start, but maybe he took a little extra time to get the throw on target the rest of the game and that is what cost him?

Game 8, April 6

Didn’t see much of this game, but on O’s extra I saw Dwight Smith make an excellent catch of a line drive hit over his head that he went back and caught, then turned it into a DP when the runner, who was headed to 3B, failed to touch 2B on his return to first.    

Game 9, April 7

- Ruiz started a 5-4-3 DP by fielding a short hop and making a quick throw to 2B.    The relay throw was off line but Davis came off the base to get it and was able to tag the batter as he ran past.

- Villar also started a 6-4-3 DP.

- Sucre had a passed ball.   

- We needed some defenders in the outfield bleachers.   Tough to defend 7 homers.   

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Game 9, April 7

- Ruiz started a 5-4-3 DP by fielding a short hop and making a quick throw to 2B.    The relay throw was off line but Davis came off the base to get it and was able to tag the batter as he ran past.

- We needed some defenders in the outfield bleachers.   Tough to defend 7 homers.   

For a poorly pitched game the defense impressed me. 

Games like today are the ones usually when the defense can get sloppy and that didn’t happen today. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Game 9, April 7

Ruiz looked really good in the field.Much better then Nunez. Slightly better then Pedro Aivarez.?. Was coming home from the game and Dempsey was on the radio saying watching film is good but catchers should catch the starters in the bullpen on side sessions Dempsey said they pay other guys to do that now.I guess he is old old school.