Mychal Givens 2019

Frobby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/5/2019 at 12:26 AM, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. RANGERS, 6/04)

All things considered, this may have been Givens' best game of the season so far.

When the bottom of the 9th inning started, the Orioles had a 12-5 lead, and even the most devout Rangers fan probably didn't think that their team had a prayer of coming back to win. By the time that Givens entered the game, that once-comfortable 12-5 lead was now an extremely precarious 12-11 nail-biter ........ and the Rangers had the potential tying run on base with only one out !!!

After Josh Lucas and Richard Bleier walked and got hit by what seemed like half the American League, Givens took all of 10 pitched to strike out 2 batters, and finally end the game (albeit with a bone-headed pickoff attempt in between those 2 Strikeouts.)

o

o

3 DAYS LATER ))) (vs. ASTROS, 6/07)

Givens followed that up with another solid game ........ 1.67 Shutout Innings, 1 Walk, 2 Strikeouts, and )) 25 Pitches )(17 )Strikes, )8 )Balls.

o

Consider how bad Givens is this year that no one has even bothered to mention it on the main page of Orioles Talk.. LOL

• 1 IP
  • 4 runs allowed, 2 ER
  • 2 home runs
  • 4 hits
  • Blown save
  • At home
  • Against the Red Sox
  • Collective shrug from O's fans

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Consider how bad Givens is this year that no one has even bothered to mention it on the main page of Orioles Talk.. LOL

• 1 IP
  • 4 runs allowed, 2 ER
  • 2 home runs
  • 4 hits
  • Blown save
  • At home
  • Against the Red Sox

Yeah, that was horrible.    He’s having a very disappointing season.    

26 minutes ago, interloper said:

• 1 IP
  • 4 runs allowed, 2 ER
  • 2 home runs
  • 4 hits
  • Blown save
  • At home
  • Against the Red Sox

I liked Givens since his early minor league days.

But, I have been consistent with my opinion, that Givens doesn't have the makeup to be a closer.

He does have very good stuff and can be very effective arm out of the pen.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I liked Givens since his early minor league days.

But, I have been consistent with my opinion, that Givens doesn't have the makeup to be a closer.

He does have very good stuff and can be very effective arm out of the pen.

I think he's been a bit overworked and overexposed.  Reminds me of what happened to Brach once Britton got hurt and his role was more in flux.  Just a case of where some of these guys need defined roles.  Same thing with Castro.  They were definitely more successful when we have the luxury of having defined roles, but at some point, these guys have to step up.  

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Not sure if you can even get  a non prospect AA type guy for him, but they need to deal him because there is no way you go to arbitration with him.

He still has good K numbers.  I think you go to arb with him, but the fact that this is even a valid concern just points out how bad he's been.  

Archived