Wayne Krenchicki

SteveA

I can't find any discussion on the board from that time, but Wayne Krenchicki passed away last October.   On the 35th anniversary of our last World Series victory.

I only found out about it when the pregame yesterday scrolled on the scoreboard the names of Oriole personnel we had lost in the past year, most notably Frank, but also Krenchicki, Tom Giordano (a great scout who signed a lot of great Orioles), former hitting coach Rick Downs, and others.

Krenchicki was part of the late 70s Rochester Red Wing team that looked to be full of a lot of talent but all those guys were stuck behind the talented major league Orioles.   Krenchicki, Drungo Hazewood, Bob Bonner, Dave Ford, etc.

He made it up to the O's for some cups of coffee amounting to less than 100 at bats in 79-81, then we traded him to Cincinnati.   He ended up playing another 5 years in the majors with the Reds, Tigers, and Expos, and had a .710 OPS for his career.

20 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

@DrungoHazewood will surely have tidbits locked away in his head, that he can share with us.

I cant believe its been 35 years since 83. Dang.

I don't really remember anything in particular about him besides his name.  That stuck with me enough that he ended up in my Earl Weaver Baseball/OOTP league for a while.  Otherwise, he just had a few cups of coffee with the O's when I was in elementary school.  Hard to believe the guys on those teams are in their 60s now... or not, since I'm now 47.

On 4/9/2019 at 7:23 AM, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't really remember anything in particular about him besides his name.  That stuck with me enough that he ended up in my Earl Weaver Baseball/OOTP league for a while.  Otherwise, he just had a few cups of coffee with the O's when I was in elementary school.  Hard to believe the guys on those teams are in their 60s now... or not, since I'm now 47.

Yeah, but you never feel like you’re getting any older.    Sometimes I have to remind myself that many of the current players are younger than some of my kids (who are 23, 26 and 29).   

On 4/10/2019 at 3:59 PM, Frobby said:

Yeah, but you never feel like you’re getting any older.    Sometimes I have to remind myself that many of the current players are younger than some of my kids (who are 23, 26 and 29).   

I got told by an OP that a couple of times, when i referred to the players as kids, that they are not kids but grown adults. I had to laugh, well, this father has kids almost 40 and my baby is 26.

Archived