Grayson Rodriguez 2019

WalkWithElias

11 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

1:26 the best change up ever thrown by a teenager - 80mph followed by 96 heat for back to back swing & misses after falling behind 2-0. 

To my unexpert eye, it looked like the delivery was very similar on both of those pitches.  Good stuff.

38 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

He wasn't sharp with location, but showed some poise. Tough to start with a guy on second base (something he's never done) in a tie game and face 3 hitters who are all at least 3 years older

Pure laziness on my part, but this was a question I had when looking at Hall and Rodriguez’s outings... how old are they compared to the rest of the players on these rosters? I’d always thought Futures was for guys who may be breaking into the league by the end of next season. Both of ours are at minimum 2+ years away. 

10 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Pure laziness on my part, but this was a question I had when looking at Hall and Rodriguez’s outings... how old are they compared to the rest of the players on these rosters? I’d always thought Futures was for guys who may be breaking into the league by the end of next season. Both of ours are at minimum 2+ years away. 

There are plenty of young players on the roster, I believe Grayson was the 4th or 5th youngest out of 50. DL Hall was like 16th or 17th youngest. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

Rodriguez had his wildest outing of the season. 6 walks in 5 innings, but he only allowed 2 hits and 1 run. Those 6 walks account for more than 25% of all of his walks so far this season, so hopefully this is just an outlier. 

3 of the walks came in the third inning.    

From an article describing recent changes in Fangraphs’ prospect rankings:  

Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Orioles (45+ FV to 50 FV):
Rodriguez has developed a changeup pretty quickly and has closed the gap in technical skill and pitchability that caused us to slot him behind fellow 2018 draftees Cole Winn and Matthew Liberatore.  

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/we-adjusted-several-prospects-rankings/

They currently have him ranked 93rd.

I will be rooting for us to hire Josh Tomlin as a developmental coach whenever he's finished trying to fool MLB hitters.  They are such strange bedfellows but I just love that change up reports like this are coming, and figure their collaboration is partly responsible for it.

Fireballing Texas HS with a change up ranked backend Top 100 now is a profile that mostly only needs health to climb.  24 more months of health is inherently a longshot for any pitcher, but that is most of all that is between him and a Top 50 ranking a year from now, and a Top 20 ranking another year after that.  I don't really believe Texas has anything to do with that, but not sure all Texans I know would agree.

I'm very content with FB/CH being the draws in first year out of high school, but look forward to breaking ball emergence stories next year.

26 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I will be rooting for us to hire Josh Tomlin as a developmental coach whenever he's finished trying to fool MLB hitters.  They are such strange bedfellows but I just love that change up reports like this are coming, and figure their collaboration is partly responsible for it.

Fireballing Texas HS with a change up ranked backend Top 100 now is a profile that mostly only needs health to climb.  24 more months of health is inherently a longshot for any pitcher, but that is most of all that is between him and a Top 50 ranking a year from now, and a Top 20 ranking another year after that.  I don't really believe Texas has anything to do with that, but not sure all Texans I know would agree.

I'm very content with FB/CH being the draws in first year out of high school, but look forward to breaking ball emergence stories next year.

The slider is better than the changeup.