Hunter Harvey 2019

wildcard

o

Not including the runner who was caught stealing and the runner who was thrown out on the basepaths, 75% of the outs that Harvey recorded (9 out of 12) came via the Strikeout and the Groundout.

14 OUTS: ) 6 Strikeouts, 3 Groundouts, 1 Popout, 1 Flyout, 1 Lineout, 1 Caught Stealing, 1 Thrown Out going from 1st to 3rd on a Single

HUNTER LUKE HARVEY )))))) (vs. AA-Harrisburg, 4/06)

IP:lll4.67

H:lll 10 )) (2 Home Runs, 2 Doubles, 6 Singles)

R:lllll 5

BB:lll1

SO:lll6

Pitches: )l 79 (51 )Strikes, )28 )Balls)

2019 ERA: )l 9.64 )l(AA-Bowie) )  4.67 IP  (75 ER)

2019 WHIP: )l 2.357 )l(AA-Bowie) )  4.67 P  (11 H/BB)

2019 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .455  )l(AA-Bowie) )  (10 for 22)

PITCHES BY INNING

15 ll(11 llStrikes, llllllBalls)

18 ll(91 llStrikes, llllllBalls)

13 lll(81 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

14 lll(11 llStrikes, lllllBalls)

19 lll(12 llStrikes, llllllBalls) ) *

* )) Harvey recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

o

On 4/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, Frobby said:

Relatively sharp so far — 4 IP, 1 R, 6 H, 1 BB, 6 K’s in a tidy 60 pitches.   3 of the 6 hits were in the 4th inning, so he may be tiring.  

I'm late to the conversation only seeing Harvey's Game 1 result this morning but this is heartening.  I first read on BP about the raft-load of baserunners over 4.2 IP, and my hot take was going to be, "At least he stayed healthy for 4.2 innings in a row."  I'm more encouraged to see he had a decent game going and was just given the rope to really blow it. 

He can take his TTOP lumps now - it'll only help him be more understanding of the quick hooks coming if he makes it to the show.

I moved him up my personal prospect list after watching his start (I had him lower than on the OH site list, 15th). The stuff is back and he has an out pitch against lefties now with the splitter. He looks healthy and he’s working as a starter. Command is not very good, particularly FB command, so when his stuff started to dull later in the outing, he grooved some FBs and they got barreled. It was all-in-all encouraging, IMO. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I moved him up my personal prospect list after watching his start (I had him lower than on the OH site list, 15th). The stuff is back and he has an out pitch against lefties now with the splitter. He looks healthy and he’s working as a starter. Command is not very good, particularly FB command, so when his stuff started to dull later in the outing, he grooved some FBs and they got barreled. It was all-in-all encouraging, IMO. 

I just wish we would see some results matching the stuff.    I realize most of the damage came when he was tiring, but eventually you’d like a top prospect to be holding his stuff longer than 4 innings.    It’s his first start of the year, so I won’t draw any conclusions that he won’t be able to hold his stuff longer than that, but he’s only gone more than 4 IP three times in the last four years (two 5-inning starts in 2018 and then yesterday).    

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I just wish we would see some results matching the stuff.    I realize most of the damage came when he was tiring, but eventually you’d like a top prospect to be holding his stuff longer than 4 innings.    It’s his first start of the year, so I won’t draw any conclusions that he won’t be able to hold his stuff longer than that, but he’s only gone more than 4 IP three times in the last four years (two 5-inning starts in 2018 and then yesterday).    

I agree, it would be nice to see. It was the first time I saw him use an effective offspeed pitch against lefties, so that’s improvement.

If he’s going to be a starter, which seems like the route they are pursuing, I want to see three things this year.

Healthy Innings

3 effective pitches

Holding stuff thru 100 pitches

I’m comfortable if the command isn’t great or if the results are mixed, as long as I see the above. Command takes reps and Harvey has had few of those. That said, I would love to see him just straight up dominate.

• Upvote 3

On 4/8/2019 at 12:37 PM, Frobby said:

Assuming he can be a starter. While I'm not ruling it out, and the fact that the change gives him a better chance to stick, I still wonder if he's a guy that can go to the pen and end up a Dave Robertson type reliever.?

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Assuming he can be a starter. While I'm not ruling it out, and the fact that the change gives him a better chance to stick, I still wonder if he's a guy that can go to the pen and end up a Dave Robertson type reliever.?

I’m wondering that as well.    But not ready to give up on him as a starter for at least a couple more months.   

Just now, Frobby said:

I’m wondering that as well.    But not ready to give up on him as a starter for at least a couple more months.   

Haha, I forgot an important word, not! I went back and fixed it. I'm not ruling him out sticking as a starter, but I could see him becoming a multi-inning reliever or closer. I just need to see him hold his stuff longer throughout the season. His curve ball is a plus strikeout pitch that misses bats, but starting rolling a bit around 60 pitches. 

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His issue has been health. If you move him to the pen now, or give him a "swingman" role, that might help limit his innings and allow him to go "full power" in shorter bursts. Similar to Branden Kline. 

• 3 weeks later...