Second guessing Hyde

HowAboutThat

I grant that it's pretty difficult to evaluate Hyde based on the current roster and all of the challenges it presents.

That being said, he is still voluntarily choosing to insert Mike Wright into games.   And he seems to be one of his first choices.

If I was granted one question to ask him that would be the one where I'd want to know why.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not interested in even looking for trends until the end of the season.  It will take that long to collect enough data to start making informed decisions.

Philip, this is a very good answer to your question.  The truth is we really don't know much.  We know we have a brand new manager who we believe is making a whole lot more decisions based on analytics than ever before.  We know we have a.....limited arsenal...for him to work with.  We really can't tell for example if decisions are made for analytical reasons or because we need to do something and don't have options.

I think your question on Davis pinch hitting for Rickard is is a perfect example.  I, like you, struggle to imagine what reason was used, but it could have been as simple as looking for anyway to get Davis going and he hasn't hit knowing when he was hitting, so maybe Chris your up, with no other preparation was simply an attempt to jump start a 100 Million dollar car.  I don't have any real idea.

I think patience will be required and humility for us as fans.  It was great to come out of the gate with a winning record, but the facts say there are still gonna be a lot of days like yesterday whether Hyde is the best manager in baseball...or the worst.  My advice to all of us for the next 5 months or so is to...

Buck it up.

Yeah, I went there.

16 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I grant that it's pretty difficult to evaluate Hyde based on the current roster and all of the challenges it presents.

That being said, he is still voluntarily choosing to insert Mike Wright into games.   And he seems to be one of his first choices.

If I was granted one question to ask him that would be the one where I'd want to know why.

Two things.

1) We don't know that it is voluntary.

2) He has input we presume on the 25 man roster, but he doesn't set it.  He has to use his resources whatever they are.  

It does appear to me, that both Davis and Wright are being used to either locate their value or demand their replacement.  If so, Hyde is doing his job well.

44 minutes ago, Aglets said:

What's the alternative? Honestly. The pitchers are being taxed early on this year and someone has to pick up the slack. It's not Hyde's fault that Castro and Wright are incapable of not throwing backbreaking hanging sliders every outing. He can't pitch Givens every inning. Bleier is coming off an injury. This team is bad. He has to use bad players.

1)  I believe Mike Elias had a quote where he said that he asked Hyde if he'd be comfortable with the GM interfering or whatever in day-to-day managing decisions and Hyde said no.  And that that was the right answer.  So until shown evidence to the contrary I am going to give Hyde the majority of the credit (and blame) for in-game decision making.

2)  Mike Wright doesn't have to be his first choice.   Ever.   Mop up duty........maybe.    If literally everyone else is spent.........maybe.   Not the first guy to come in.  He's done this in 2 of the last 3 games now.

9 minutes ago, LTO's said:

What's the alternative? Honestly. The pitchers are being taxed early on this year and someone has to pick up the slack. It's not Hyde's fault that Castro and Wright are incapable of not throwing backbreaking hanging sliders every outing. He can't pitch Givens every inning. Bleier is coming off an injury. This team is bad. He has to use bad players.

This is about where I am.  Seeing Wright sucks and I want him off the team but it's time to see some alternative even though they might be underwhelming at first glance.  Wright has been terrible for years now, let's see if someone else can be any better.  

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's totally Hyde's call to keep running him out there everyday. Hyde is going to stay positive and say the right things in public about Davis, but he's a smart baseball man and he knows what he sees in BP and during games.

My guess is this thing has to come to a head at some point. If he's still here by June I'll be surprised. He's going tweak something or the Orioles will finally just do what's best for everyone and release him.

21 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I am OK with Davis hitting against RHP. Ottavino is an elite RHP and almost surely would be strongly favored in the matchup vs Rickard. My biggest problem with his use of Davis was the failure to bunt recently when he has had a man on base and nobody out in a close game, then proceeded to strike out.

When. When does he hit against right handers?

4 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's totally Hyde's call to keep running him out there everyday. Hyde is going to stay positive and say the right things in public about Davis, but he's a smart baseball man and he knows what he sees in BP and during games.

My guess is this thing has to come to a head at some point. If he's still here by June I'll be surprised. He's going tweak something or the Orioles will finally just do what's best for everyone and release him.

Boy I sure hope this is right...

Hyde has got his hands full this is not a good team, JMHO I don't think there is a MLB manger any where that can make all the right moves with this crew. The BP is a disaster right now.

How much longer do they carry Wright with that 18+ ERA

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This season is all about trying things and seeing what players shake out. Like Means getting a  chance to start. Hanser earning more PT. The value of Sucre calling games. 

We’re 4-5 and we’ve played the Yankees 6 games. We haven’t been an embarrassment. We have the fewest errors in baseball. The fact that we aren’t a laughing stock means Hyde has at least gotten through to the players. 

I’m second guessing Elias more. Arajuo making the OD roster. Calling up Wotherspoon over other options. Not having Straily pitch in the minors for a 1-2 games. Losing Drew Jackson. Not using the Norfolk shuttle enough early on. 

Hyde is in a bind. 

Wotherspoon was added because the Orioles knew it would only be 1 game before they sent him back for Cobb. It appears they DFA'ed him too.

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

The Orioles were off on Friday and used Means, Karns, Fry, and Castro in relief on Saturday.

Assuming that all of them were thus unavailable, that means that for Sunday your available relievers were Wright, Bleier, Givens, Straily, and Yacabonis.  

Would Wright be the first name you'd want to insert from that list?

He would not be mine.

If you want to tell me that the other 4 guys were all unavailable.........ok then I understand you have to use whoever is left.   But that seems to have not been the case.

4 minutes ago, Aglets said:

The Orioles were off on Friday and used Means, Karns, Fry, and Castro in relief on Saturday.

Assuming that all of them were thus unavailable, that means that for Sunday your available relievers were Wright, Bleier, Givens, Straily, and Yacabonis.  

He would not be mine.

If you want to tell me that the other 4 guys were all unavailable.........ok then I understand you have to use whoever is left.   But that seems to have not been the case.

It was the 6th inning. You want to save Yacabonis for long relief if possible. You want to save Bleier and Givens for 8 and 9, if it's a close game. You're not putting Straily in at that point. Wright was kind of the only choice unless you want to burn Yacabonis on a game where the SP went 5 innings. Which, certainly debatable. But it was also 4-0 at that point and it's not unreasonable to expect Wright to NOT give up FOUR MORE RUNS. Lol. So we thought. 

On 4/7/2019 at 8:51 AM, Philip said:

Mancini is not fast, but I was talking about our real outfielders, Mancini can stand where ever he wants, it won’t make much difference.

Don’t misunderstand, I’m not saying he should be fired or anything like that I just think that some of his moods so far have been unjustifiable and I’m interested in what you guys think, and also in trying to discern his logic.

You can only make progress if you have a specific reason for doing things, and you can evaluate the validity of that reasoning over time. If you’re just random, then nothing will change

The thing about the main factor about Wright is that he’s a known quantity. Three seasons with an ERA of 6+?There’s nothing more to learn. For every good inning you get five terrible ones and you never know when. 

if this team is really about developing and “learning what we have” then keeping Wright is less than zero because he’s keeping you from evaluating someone else.

even the marginal guys, Ynoa, Ramirez et al, won’t be worse. They aren’t prospects, and they’re experienced enough to possibly produce. So why not?

the Davis story is unique, possibly in all of baseball history, but dumping Mike Wright should be a no-brainer.

30 minutes ago, Aglets said:

He would not be mine.

It was the 6th inning, they were down 4 and were getting no hit. No, I wouldn't have used Bleier, Givens or Yacabonis even if they were all "available."

Archived