Ryan McKenna 2019

Luke-OH

2 hours ago, hoosiers said:

There are multiple ways to look at McKenna's stats.  He has been young for his age at every stop in some cases 3.3 years below league average.  Also, at several stops, despite mediocre looking numbers, McKenna has actually performed better than league average.  In particular, I would point out his 500+ PAs in Delmarva in 2017 when he was 1.5 years younger than league average - McKenna 256/331/380/712 while league average was 250/317/369/686 - and I would venture that average numbers at Delmarva were below league average because of that stadium.  And McKenna was 3.3 years below league average when he put up below league average numbers in Bowie last year after the hot half season in Frederick.  McKenna is putting up above league average numbers in Bowie this year - due to higher slugging at the moment - while 2.2 years below league average age.

A couple thoughts:

- Delmarva in particular can really skew results for our hitters, particularly challenged high school hitters who are still developing power.

- McKenna has actually been better than league average while being 1.5-3.3 years below league average for a majority of his minor league PAs.  Comparing RM to a a college draft pick like Mancini - who was older than league average at several stops - is not a good comp for me.  Further, Mountcastle, like Mancini, is a 1B power profile.

We will have to see how McKenna finishes up the season and whether this is just a hot streak or if he has figured things out at AA and will produce well-above average numbers the rest of the way.  Not going to put a bow on this with some end of post sunshine, but I think the minor league numbers in the post above lack the required context for this particular player.

Good stuff. I hope McKenna proves that my "the glass is half empty" view is very wrong. 

McKenna Named EL Player of the Week

Outfielder currently owns at least a share of team lead in HR, RBI.

BOWIE, Md.- The Eastern League has announced that Baysox OF Ryan McKenna has been selected as the Eastern League Player of the Week for the period of July 1-July 7th.

The 22-year old batted .346 (9-for-26) with two doubles, three home runs, eight RBIs, seven runs scored, three walks, two stolen bases, and a .769 slugging percentage in seven games for the Baysox last week.

McKenna reached base at least once in five of the seven games he played in last week and had four multi-hit games, including going 2-for-4 with a pair of solo home runs in a 6-2 win at Hartford on Tuesday.

The 5’11”, 185 lb. slugger led all Eastern League hitters in total bases (20) and slugging percentage (.769) last week. He also finished ranked among the weekly league leaders in OPS (1.202, 2nd), RBIs (8, T-2nd), runs scored (7, T-2nd), home runs (3-tied 2nd), stolen bases (2, T-6th), on-base percentage (.433, 7th), hits (9, T-7th), and batting average (.346, T-9th).

Ryan, who is rated by MLB.com as the No. 7 prospect in the Baltimore organization, was selected by the Orioles in the fourth round of the 2015 draft out of St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Dover, New Hampshire.

The Bowie Baysox 2019 season is presented by Money One Federal Credit Union. The Baysox return in 2019 to celebrate their 27th Season. To keep up with Baysox news, visit baysox.com and be sure to follow the Baysox on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat.

Veronesi

3 Attachments

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Named to the mlb.com “prospects of the week” team:

OF: Ryan McKenna, Bowie Baysox (Double-A)
(Orioles’ No. 7 prospect)
7 G, .346/.433/.769, 7 R, 2 2B, 3 HR, 8 RBI, 3 BB, 6 K, 1 HBP, 2 SB

McKenna kicked off last week by homering three times in two games, the second of which was his third career two-homer game. The homers, along with McKenna’s four multihit performances, helped him offset a trio of 0-fer games. With nine home runs on the season, the 22-year-old is two long balls away from matching the career-high total he set during last year’s breakout campaign. What’s more, after batting .209 during the first two months of the season, McKenna owns a .276/.340/.470 line with 15 extra-base hits and six steals since June 1.

https://www.mlb.com/orioles/news/prospect-team-of-the-week-for-week-13

There are some interesting takes in this thread making the case for McKenna. I'm not sure I buy them all, but I'm not sure I don't either. For example, I'm not sure being better than average when younger than the league is a significant predictor of anything even though I absolutely believe age and performance relative to peers are incredibly important. However, I'd imagine that being in the top quintile, for example, would mean a lot more than being in the top half of a league of players, most of which will never make significant contributions in the majors. So I see that discussion as more of an argument to say he's not a failure as opposed to an argument predicting future success, if that makes sense.

Either way, it's clear he's a guy who will have to work to continue to improve as a hitter. That's ok. What I like about him is what even a layman can see. He's got a very athletic build, though small frame, and the natural gift of speed. In other words, I feel like he has some physical traits that most don't have, so he has a chance.

11 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

5 hits, 5 SB the last two games

OPSing 1.068 this month and is 7 of 7 on steals.  Granted it's only 12 games.  Someone must have decided they want him to steal more bases.  Of course, when you get on base more, there are more opportunities to steal.  Seems like he's finally getting the hang of AA.  

3 hours ago, Ruzious said:

OPSing 1.068 this month and is 7 of 7 on steals.  Granted it's only 12 games.  Someone must have decided they want him to steal more bases.  Of course, when you get on base more, there are more opportunities to steal.  Seems like he's finally getting the hang of AA.  

I remember when Xavier Avery had a stretch like this. 

I think better production over time is possible with this kid based on what I've read on this site. It's about time he shows what he's made of. Hopefully this is the start of something real with the bat. If so, he's our CF of the future. If not, he's probably not.

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

I’m happy to see McKenna using his speed on the bases.    Hopefully he can sustain his recent hot streak for a while.    Would like him to get the OPS over .750 before the end of the year.   

On 7/3/2019 at 9:31 AM, ChuckS said:

Bold prediction.  That would take a .900 OPS the rest of the way. I'd be satisfied if he finishes >.750. 

My disappointment in McKenna is that I expected him to be hot out of the gate and force a promotion to Norfolk since he was repeating Bowie.  Up until the last week, he actually performed better at Bowie last season.  

On 7/17/2019 at 11:58 AM, Frobby said:

I’m happy to see McKenna using his speed on the bases.    Hopefully he can sustain his recent hot streak for a while.    Would like him to get the OPS over .750 before the end of the year.   

He used that speed tonite to turn a line drive down the left field line into a triple.

8 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

He was caught stealing today. He had been on fire lately stealing bases. He's played some center with Mullins in left or DH. I think he's in center next year in Norfolk.

Yeah, he's a surefire CF defensively. No doubt he sticks there.