Sedlock off to a good start

orioles22

10 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Sedlock missed weeks with a sore elbow and has had arm issues overall.  Did you guys really want him pushed tonight?

He had thrown 82 and 84 pitches in two of his last three appearances (the other being a 52 pitch three inning outing where he closed out the game), so I don't think sending him out to start an inning with 70 pitches would be pushing him.

I am curious whether he has an innings limit this year. He only threw 37 innings last year after throwing 90 in 2017. He is currently at 69 innings, which is nice. The Baysox have 40 games left, plus (likely) the playoffs. He is probably looking at another 40-45 innings if all goes well and he isn't capped.

Has Sedlock regained "prospect" status? I watched one video of him. FB looked really really straight and not overpowering. The change up looked good. The results on paper look good. 

Upon watching him, my first thought was "reliever" the majors. Just looks like alot of effort to get what velocity he does. One fan's untrained eye. 

8 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Has Sedlock regained "prospect" status? I watched one video of him. FB looked really really straight and not overpowering. The change up looked good. The results on paper look good. 

Upon watching him, my first thought was "reliever" the majors. Just looks like alot of effort to get what velocity he does. One fan's untrained eye. 

Others would know better than I, but I think he has, due to his recent performance and draft pedigree.

Keith Law was asked today about Sedlock.

GJ: Went to Pizzeria Bianco this week before the O’s/Diamondbacks game based on your recommendation. Needless to say it was awesome! Do you believe in the resurgence of Corey Sedlock? Former first rounder finally healthy and pitching well. Future starter or bullpen piece?
Keith Law: Based on what I saw I think a bullpen piece.

For him to even look like a bullpen piece at this point is a huge jump forward.

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Not saying he's in the top-10 next season or anything, but does a former 1st round pick regain his prospect status more quickly than he might otherwise with good performance?

I’ll say not necessarily.    It’s more about the quality of the performance than the former draft ranking.    

Rough outing today for Sedlock. Went 4 and 2/3rds and allowed 4 runs on 7 hits with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts over 81 pitches. He also threw 3 wild pitches. He has only thrown 1 wild pitch prior to today, so hopefully that is a one off thing.

He should have two starts left this season, though I don't know what (if any) his inning limit is.

3 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Rough outing today for Sedlock. Went 4 and 2/3rds and allowed 4 runs on 7 hits with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts over 81 pitches. He also threw 3 wild pitches. He has only thrown 1 wild pitch prior to today, so hopefully that is a one off thing.

He should have two starts left this season, though I don't know what (if any) his inning limit is.

Good chance Sedlock begins next year at Bowie, I think.   He’s done reasonably well there overall but I think Elias will want him to have some more AA innings under his belt before moving him up.