Ryan Mountcastle 2019

RVAOsFan

Just now, MCO'sFan said:

The thing that jumps out at me is that most of the other players (who have won awards) never made it in the Majors. Let's hope that changes.

I think generally speaking teams don't leave guys at AAA all season when they are playing well, so you end up with older AAAA guys putting up the counting numbers.

• Upvote 3

I was reading this Baltimore Sun article, https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-reset-ryan-mountcastle-september-callup-20190826-wwqzzlesknb2vg5adw4adirpcu-story.html

and I saw this quote

"The strides he’s made at the plate are real. Jace Peterson hit either before or after him for months at Norfolk and commended how Mountcastle learned quickly that pitchers would challenge him with high heat then sliders away. He adjusted, a sign that there’s an eye there that the walk rate doesn’t show; he just has the ability to get his bat to many of them, and drive what he gets his bat to. "

Could he have a better approach than what his BB rates are suggesting?  Could there be more BBs in the future?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I was reading this Baltimore Sun article, https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-reset-ryan-mountcastle-september-callup-20190826-wwqzzlesknb2vg5adw4adirpcu-story.html

and I saw this quote

"The strides he’s made at the plate are real. Jace Peterson hit either before or after him for months at Norfolk and commended how Mountcastle learned quickly that pitchers would challenge him with high heat then sliders away. He adjusted, a sign that there’s an eye there that the walk rate doesn’t show; he just has the ability to get his bat to many of them, and drive what he gets his bat to. "

Could he have a better approach than what his BB rates are suggesting?  Could there be more BBs in the future?

Yep, it is possible that if he learns he can't drive certain ML pitches that he will stop swinging at them.  As Buck and CO would say learn what you can't hit.  Right now his bat to ball skills are probably letting him drive pitchers' pitches. 

Not as if he has a reputation for swinging at complete junk or has had issues with a huge number of strikeouts.

4 hours ago, MCO'sFan said:

The thing that jumps out at me is that most of the other players mentioned in the news release (who have won awards) never made it in the Majors. Let's hope that changes.

Randy Milligan won the award when he was 25.  Guessing not too many 22 year olds on that list.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Mountcastle is guaranteed to have a career comparable to Jim Thome

Thome's stats the year he won the award were significantly better than Mountcastle's this year. I am not sure why people have to be so negative on here.  

Just now, atomic said:

Thome's stats the year he won the award were significantly better than Mountcastle's this year. I am not sure why people have to be so negative on here.  

I think it’s called a joke.   Nothing negative about it.