Rough start for Chance Sisco

ChuckS

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

While this is a valid point, I think it’s still a bit odd to handwave ST as SSS them put a ton of stock in 18 AB

I'm not putting a ton of stock in 18 AB.  Just pointing out his slow start.  I think it is interesting that he started so hot in ST and has started so cold in Triple A. 

Just now, BohKnowsBmore said:

Earnest question, how do you mean?

Simple.

Folks have agendas, let's say one poster is a HUGE Wynns fan, they are more likely to read a lot into Sisco's slow start since it increases the chances of Wynns getting called up when healthy.  Another group of fans is convinced that catcher defense is the be all and end all and Sisco's issues throwing mean he shouldn't be playing catcher, they are more likely to read a lot into his slow start.

On the other hand you have someone like me, who thinks catcher throwing (and framing) is overrated.  We are more likely to make a big deal out of his ST and be quiet now while he's struggling. 

The same thing happens with a lot of players.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Simple.

Folks have agendas, let's say one poster is a HUGE Wynns fan, they are more likely to read a lot into Sisco's slow start since it increases the chances of Wynns getting called up when healthy.  Another group of fans is convinced that catcher defense is the be all and end all and Sisco's issues throwing mean he shouldn't be playing catcher, they are more likely to read a lot into his slow start.

On the other hand you have someone like me, who thinks catcher throwing (and framing) is overrated.  We are more likely to make a big deal out of his ST and be quiet now while he's struggling. 

The same thing happens with a lot of players.

Or people read into his jump in strike outs in 2017 in Norfolk when he looked lost when pitchers started using more breaking pitches against him. Then he responded the next year with a .188 average in Baltimore and a nearly 50% strike out rate, along with throwing out somewhere around 1 out of 30 base runners in Norfolk and going "0 for" after catching the first bunch last year to start the season in Baltimore.

Add in his impressive Spring start and the fact he cooled way off and carried it for a bit into this year, especially how last season went, and there is justified concern. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Who exactly doesn't think there is cause for concern?  I haven't seen anyone this season anointing Chance a star or even a ML regular.

What we do have in Baltimore is a career replacement level backup catcher starting.

Are either catcher actually "replacement level backup," or are you just being generous?

I made the OP just to spark some general conversation about Sisco.  I'm certainly not in the camp of people who are writing him off or don't think he has any shot at being a viable ML catcher.    

I wanted to see him make the team out of Spring Training and I can't think of anything more depressing than watching two career backup journeymen play every game at catcher for us all season. 

So I hope he makes some improvements over the next few weeks and doesn't spend all season in Norfolk. 

2 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Or people read into his jump in strike outs in 2017 in Norfolk when he looked lost when pitchers started using more breaking pitches against him. Then he responded the next year with a .188 average in Baltimore and a nearly 50% strike out rate, along with throwing out somewhere around 1 out of 30 base runners in Norfolk and going "0 for" after catching the first bunch last year to start the season in Baltimore.

Add in his impressive Spring start and the fact he cooled way off and carried it for a bit into this year, especially how last season went, and there is justified concern. 

Why is an impressive spring additive to the concern?

58 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It is only an additive because he seemed to go cold suddenly and carried it into the start of the season. 

But wouldn’t it be worse if he was terrible in ST? By the logic presented, it appears that anything he did in ST would be negative for his overall outlook. 

• 2 weeks later...