Rough start for Chance Sisco

ChuckS

3 hours ago, WalkWithElias said:

With the benefit of hindsight, was it a mistake moving Sisco to catcher? He was well-regarded 3B prospect coming out of high school and could rake from the time he entered the system. Was moving him behind the plate overthinking things? Could he have become a ML quality player if he was allowed to focus on his bat rather than attempting for 6 years to develop adequate skills as a catcher?

Too late now, but I wonder if he could've been a high OBP left fielder if we just let the bat carry. 

He was already playing catcher when we drafted him.    He moved there during high school.  

On 5/2/2019 at 10:00 AM, Tony-OH said:

I know you are joking, but his 25.5 sprint speed would be well below the 27 ft/sec. In 2019, only four center fielders that qualify are below average with Atlanta's Ender Inciarte (26.4) the slowest by far. Interestingly, Inciarte despite his slow sprint speed, he must get great jumps and take great routes because he has 1 Outs above average and has caught 92% of his 91% expected catch percentages. 

Is 27 ft./s considered the major league average? Or is it considered to be the minimum acceptable speed for an outfielder? I know that Joey and Cedric are quite a bit faster than that, where are Smith and Santander in that ranking?

5 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He has slow feet. I wouldn't be against seeing what he looked like at 2B, but I'd imagine he'd have a lack of lateral quickness there. Saying that, he was one of the worse throwing catcher's in the major leagues last year (statcast wise) and his numbers in AAA don't give much hope its improved. He accounted for -1 runs saved last year with pitch framing so he's not a plus there either. Saying that, IF his bat can be a plus weapon, and I'm not convinced that it can, you may be able to live with the defense if you are willing to give that up. 

Seem like Hyde/Elias put a premium on catcher's defense (as they should in my opinion) so it will be tough for him to break through without some improvements defensively.

At what point do they cut bait on him and move him to first? And if you have to choose between Sisco at first and Mountcastle at first and Mancini at first, who wins?

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Buck/DD also put the same emphasis on catcher defense, as they should.

My worry with Sisco has always been his arm strength inability to throw out runners and not well at handling the pitchers.

Unless they can find a place to hide him, he becomes a 1 dimensional player and I dont think his bat plays well enough to stash at DH.

I think time is running out on this draft pick.

I think Buck's emphasis on catcher defense started and ended with pop times to second.

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

Is 27 ft./s considered the major league average? Or is it considered to be the minimum acceptable speed for an outfielder? I know that Joey and Cedric are quite a bit faster than that, where are Smith and Santander in that ranking?

Statcast Sprint Speed

From this article that I wrote,

http://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/04/20/statcast-sprint-speed/

The chart grades out speed on a position by position basis using MLB statcast sprint speeds. 

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I do not believe you can honesty feel that way, after following this team as long as you have.

I think Buck cared a lot more about controlling the running game than he did pitch calling or blocking balls in the dirt.

Absolutely.

Buck went way overboard when it came to the running game.

I think if you had a catcher that threw like Sisco but who did everything else plus Buck wouldn't be happy. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Buck cared a lot more about controlling the running game than he did pitch calling or blocking balls in the dirt.

Absolutely.

Buck went way overboard when it came to the running game.

I think if you had a catcher that threw like Sisco but who did everything else plus Buck wouldn't be happy. 

I grant that you dont have access to the MASN Game radio shows and probably never heard Buck talk about catcher and how difficulty it was, and how much he valued the man behind the plate, he said the catcher was the person most responsible for every pitch.

Yes, its true, that he valued a cannon for an arm, you have to keep runners from stealing. He also liked his catcher being able to come up firing to first or third, if the runner was napping.

He sent Clevinger back to AAA, because of his defensive skills, and he worked hard to get back to the bigs.

Personally, I think Buck got too wrapped up with TTP, and it affected some pitchers and their motion. Granted, a slow pitch motion, does allow the runner more time to steal and be closer to home plate.

At this rate, we dont have to worry about steals, we give up way too many gopher balls.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Buck's emphasis on catcher defense started and ended with pop times to second.

We have butted heads a time or two, Mr. Corn, But based on bucks moves, I am inclined to agree with you. The team that was put on the field for the last two years of Buck’s 10 year was so bad on defense, the argument might be made and that he was doing it on purpose.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

We have butted heads a time or two, Mr. Corn, But based on bucks moves, I am inclined to agree with you. The team that was put on the field for the last two years of Buck’s 10 year was so bad on defense, the argument might be made and that he was doing it on purpose.

And Ownership or GM has nothing to do with the hand that Buck was dealt with?

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Thank you very much, that’s  a very valuable chart. Can you post it somewhere where I can regularly access it?

You can bookmark the article. Or copy the image and save it in a place of your choosing on your computer/phone.