Mike Baumann 2019

Luke-OH

22 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

Law’s general approach seems to be say nobody will ever amount to anything and since most of them don’t, he’ll be right most of the time. If a 19 year old first rounder dominating in his first season is a relief prospect, then Baumann would be too. 

Keep in mind Law is worried about something in his delivery that no one else is worried about.

Baumann definitely has some relief traits, lack of a 3rd MLB pitch (last time I saw him, curveball had  the quality, but not the consistency/command), and fringe command.

On the other hand he holds his velocity well and has a starter’s frame/build.

I think categorizing him as a relief prospect is lazy, just as I’d say calling him a starting pitcher prospect without mentioning relief risks/traits would be lazy.

21 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Baumann definitely has some relief traits, lack of a 3rd MLB pitch (last time I saw him, curveball had  the quality, but not the consistency/command), and fringe command.

On the other hand he holds his velocity well and has a starter’s frame/build.

I think categorizing him as a relief prospect is lazy, just as I’d say calling him a starting pitcher prospect without mentioning relief risks/traits would be lazy.

Keith Law likes to express himself in black and white terms.    I’m not sure if that’s because that’s how he actually sees things, or because he thinks expressing himself in that way attracts attention to his stuff.    

Was fortunate to be at the game Tuesday night and watch this outstanding performance. It was fun watching the batters take so many bad swings against Baumann. They were off-balance and couldn't commit, and it was great to see the last batter called out on strikes.

On 7/18/2019 at 4:22 PM, Frobby said:

Keith Law likes to express himself in black and white terms.    I’m not sure if that’s because that’s how he actually sees things, or because he thinks expressing himself in that way attracts attention to his stuff.    

I'm guessing that it's similar to why the most accurate economists never make it on TV.  It sells a lot better to be a complete bull or a complete bear on the economic outlook.  The take of "we will probably average around 3% GDP growth over the course of a decade with a recession thrown in there at some point and a few years of outsized growth to balance it out" isn't particularly exciting.

Baumann threw three more no-hit innings today before finally yielding a leadoff hit in the fourth.   He allowed no more hits until there were two out in the sixth.    Then, with a runner already on base via a walk, he allowed back to back hits and got pulled with 2 runs in, and Steve Klimek came in and allowed a double so that Baumann’s final runner also scored.    So, he ended up allowing 3 hits and 3 ER in 5.2 IP, but for most of the game he was pretty dominant.  

• Upvote 1

Baumann's ERA was down to something like .30 before the sixth inning today. If the bullpen hadn't let him down it would have been just one earned run today. He's had a tremendous start. I hope he's ready to go to Norfolk to start next season, along with Lowther, Kremer, Wells and Zimmerman.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Baumann threw three more no-hit innings today before finally yielding a leadoff hit in the fourth.   He allowed no more hits until there were two out in the sixth.    Then, with a runner already on base via a walk, he allowed back to back hits and got pulled with 2 runs in, and Steve Klimek came in and allowed a double so that Baumann’s final runner also scored.    So, he ended up allowing 3 hits and 3 ER in 5.2 IP, but for most of the game he was pretty dominant.  

12.0 IP consecutive of hitless work is pretty dominating. I didn’t look to see if that extended into his outing pre no hitter. 

Hopefully, he really starts working on his CH this offseason. 

I understand the assessments that he profiles as a back-end reliever more than a starter. All I'm saying is that a great end to this year and an off season where he's able to make his change an average pitch and now he's more like a #3 pitcher than a relief profile. 

44 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I understand the assessments that he profiles as a back-end reliever more than a starter. All I'm saying is that a great end to this year and an off season where he's able to make his change an average pitch and now he's more like a #3 pitcher than a relief profile. 

Development of the change-up is not a foregone conclusion.    Not everyone is able to develop a good one.   But I agree that if Baumann is able to do this, it seems his other two pitches would position him to be a MOR starter.    

46 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Development of the change-up is not a foregone conclusion.    Not everyone is able to develop a good one.   But I agree that if Baumann is able to do this, it seems his other two pitches would position him to be a MOR starter.    

Definitely agree. My only point is that he's in his development arc. There's no guarantee that he continues to develop, but there's also no guarantee that he'll stop where he is now. I look at middle relief as his floor, if healthy.

• 2 weeks later...