Adam Hall 2019

Frobby

15 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

I think it's time to promote him to Frederick. .818 OPS in Delmarva is great, and I think can be improved on by hitting in a more hitter friendly atmosphere. 

I think this is a bit of an overstatement. I like the kid, but his bat isn't 'great' yet.

3 minutes ago, survivedc said:

Age adjusted I’d say it’s pretty close to great.

Looks like he's about 7th in BA and 21st in OPS in the league. That includes a few SSS guys. So that's a little better than I expected. 6 of the OPS guys above him are about his age or younger. 

The OPS is fine, especially for a middle infielder, but I still wouldn't move him out of Delmarva. He's striking out more than 25% of the time and has shown little power.

He's never going to be a power bat, but Luke has said on here before that Hall has very little lift in his swing and is mostly a slap hitter right now. That won't work against better pitching and better defensive infields. If he is going to make swing adjustments, I would rather he do it at a level where we know he's already successful than trying to make changes while seeing higher quality pitchers that he is used to. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

The OPS is fine, especially for a middle infielder, but I still wouldn't move him out of Delmarva. He's striking out more than 25% of the time and has shown little power.

He's never going to be a power bat, but Luke has said on here before that Hall has very little lift in his swing and is mostly a slap hitter right now. That won't work against better pitching and better defensive infields. If he is going to make swing adjustments, I would rather he do it at a level where we know he's already successful than trying to make changes while seeing higher quality pitchers that he is used to. 

I agree with this.  I would, however, promote Grenier to push him a little bit similar to what we did with D.J. Stewart a few years ago.  After a poor April he's put up a .790 OPS in May and currently has a .796 in June.

• Upvote 1

“I think of Trea Turner when I see him because I missed on Turner. I missed on Turner because I thought he was too small. I didn’t really think his arm was going to play across the infield, and I underestimated how his speed plays his game up, and I think Hall is starting to turn into a similar type of player.”

Gotta say, I think that sounds absurdly optimistic.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  

4 hours ago, Ruzious said:

“I think of Trea Turner when I see him because I missed on Turner. I missed on Turner because I thought he was too small. I didn’t really think his arm was going to play across the infield, and I underestimated how his speed plays his game up, and I think Hall is starting to turn into a similar type of player.”

Gotta say, I think that sounds absurdly optimistic.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  

I can't refute that because I didn't see Turner until pro ball when he was older, but it seems like a bunch of things will have to go right to get Hall there. Mostly, a swing change, along with gradual improvements in every part of his game. 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The second part seems like a reasonable expectation for a 20 yo. The first part worries me.

Plenty of players have made adjustments to lift the ball more, but it's a tricky thing to project. I have more confidence in low K hitters making the change because if they add swing and miss it won't kill the profile. 

22 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

Having never watched the kids swing I can’t say for sure but judging by the reports of his lack of lift, slap hitter label, I’d almost guarantee he has a linear swing and not rotational. 

Luke, can you confirm this?

That's often the cause, but I don't think it's the culprit here. His hips work on his swing. He stays connected and rotates, but his torso is very upright, he doesn't have that body angle that lift the ball. It's a low finish too. 

Here's some video for you to make your own assessment. 

5 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I can't refute that because I didn't see Turner until pro ball when he was older, but it seems like a bunch of things will have to go right to get Hall there. Mostly, a swing change, along with gradual improvements in every part of his game. 

Trea Turner is  a fast twitch athlete.  Generates tremendous power in his forearms and lower half.  I don't see Adam Hall ever being able to hit the ball 450 plus feet, which 6'0, 170 pound Turner has been able to do since was he was 22.

He's been hitting a lot of doubles though.  Not sure if they are gappers are just hard hit grounders past the third basemen.  I can see a 10-15 HR with 40 double power scenario with Hall though if things work out. 

8 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

That's often the cause, but I don't think it's the culprit here. His hips work on his swing. He stays connected and rotates, but his torso is very upright, he doesn't have that body angle that lift the ball. It's a low finish too. 

Here's some video for you to make your own assessment. 

Not a very good video to evaluate his swing. You can see that he doesn’t get the tilt that he needs. I do disagree that he’s staying connected. But it’s a poor angle to really make an absolute judgement on that.  He has what looks almost like an awkward chop on quite a few of those swings as well.  I would love to see an angle from the first base dugout angle. I could give a better evaluation from that angle, head on.