2019 Baseball America Prospect Hot Sheet

Can_of_corn

6. Grayson Rodriguez, RHP, Orioles
Team: Low Class A Delmarva (South Atlantic)
Why He's Here: 2-0, 0.00, 11 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 5 BB, 20 SO

The Scoop: All of a sudden, the Orioles have some very interesting young pitching. DL Hall is one of the best young lefthanders in the game, and Rodriguez is quickly coming up behind him. Rodriguez has made his first two starts look incredibly easy thanks to a 92-97 mph fastball that explodes on hitters from an easy delivery. He also mixes both a power slider and an 11-to-5 curveball. Of the first 40 batters he's faced, Rodriguez has struck out 20. (JJ)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-mlb-prospects-hot-sheet-41519/

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Actually his changeup was one of his best weapons more so then the curveball in his first start.

It seems like they just stuck his scouting report from last year (instructs) on top of his early stats. I doubt they have a report from his first two starts. 

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

It seems like they just stuck his scouting report from last year (instructs) on top of his early stats. I doubt they have a report from his first two starts. 

GrayRod or G-Rod?  Inquiring minds want to know.  The Delmarva PR team seems to prefer G-Rod.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-mlb-prospects-hot-sheet-42219/

5. Ryan Mountcastle, 3B/1B, Orioles
Team: Triple-A Norfolk (International) 
Why He’s Here: .370/.357/.889 (10-for-27), 8 R, 2 2B, 4 HR, 11 RBI, 0 BB, 7 SO, 0-for-0 SB

The Scoop: Mountcastle continues to show he is a pure hitter capable of changing a game with one swing. That’s taken on particular importance because he’s moved from third base to first base this year on account of his well below-average arm. (JC)

• Upvote 1

On 4/16/2019 at 8:28 AM, KarlofDelaware said:

If there were a 'Team Hotsheet' the Delmarva Shorebirds would be number 1. They have the best record of all the minor league teams at 9-1 and a .900 W-L per-centage!  Harrisburg follows with 10-2.

On 4/22/2019 at 2:21 PM, Can_of_corn said:

These are two things that never happen for us. A good Delmarva team, and a prospect tearing it up in AAA. By this point we’re making wind excuses in AAA and looking at away splits. Delmarva is an indication of consecutive, strong, draft classes. 

• Upvote 1

I was hoping for some double Hall action but it wasn't meant to be.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-mlb-prospects-hot-sheet-42919/

20. DL Hall, LHP, Orioles
Team: High Class A Frederick (Carolina)
Why He’s Here: 1-0, 0.00, 5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 8 SO, 1 BB, 0 HR

The Scoop: Hall, the second-youngest pitcher in the Carolina League, had a rocky start to his season but turned it around in his latest outing. The lefthander stymied Winston-Salem—which includes wunderkind outfielder Luis Robert and contact machine Nick Madrigal—for five innings. Utilizing a four-pitch mix fronted by a lively mid-90s fastball that touched 97 mph, Hall racked up a season-high eight Ks, including Robert twice.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-mlb-prospects-hot-sheet-5619/

13. Ryan Mountcastle, 1B/3B, Orioles
Team: Triple-A Norfolk (International)
Why He's Here: .542/.560/.750 (13-for-24), 6 R, 2 2B, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 1 BB, 6 SO

The Scoop: Mountcastle keeps hitting. Through 29 games, he's batting .345/.370/.546, and while he's not the most disciplined hitter, Mountcastle has hit well at every level and earns widespread praise from scouts for his bat. The risk with Mountcastle has always been on the defensive side. A poor defender at third base, Mountcastle has spent most of his time this season playing first base, putting greater demands on what he will have to produce offensively at the next level. (BB)

On 4/24/2019 at 7:25 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

These are two things that never happen for us. A good Delmarva team, and a prospect tearing it up in AAA. By this point we’re making wind excuses in AAA and looking at away splits. Delmarva is an indication of consecutive, strong, draft classes. 

Partially.  But also an indication of players who are too advanced for low A ball (Knight, Peralta, and Neustrom specifically come to mind) being on the roster.  

Grayson Rodriguez and Adam Hill are certainly age appropriate and tearing it up as well and both of those players came from the last two drafts. 

I don't believe it's beneficial for Peralta and Knight to continue pitching to Sally League batters.  They need to be challenged some at this point to continue their development. 

51 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Peralta has never really had any sustained success in the minors. I wouldn't be so quick to promote him. Let him continue to gain confidence and continue throwing strikes.

He's never had the kind of control he's shown this year.  Even with the poor control, he pitched well enough in Delmarva three years ago to earn a promotion. 

He's established now that he can throw strikes consistently.  Getting Sally League hitters out has never been his problem.  Time to see what he can do in Frederick. 

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

My memory says that he really didn't "earn" a promotion nor did he prove much previously in the SAL. He is throwing strikes so far but he hasn't been quite so sharp over his last 3-4 starts. His K rate has also come back down. Everyone wants to promote players so quickly. It won't hurt Peralta to spend another month or two in the SAL.  

I’m torn on this one because I want Peralta to get some momentum but at the same time, he’s going to be Rule 5 eligible this winter and the O’s need to know if he’s worth a 40 man spot.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

My memory says that he really didn't "earn" a promotion nor did he prove much previously in the SAL. He is throwing strikes so far but he hasn't been quite so sharp over his last 3-4 starts. His K rate has also come back down. Everyone wants to promote players so quickly. It won't hurt Peralta to spend another month or two in the SAL.  

Plummeted to a meager 13.7 K/9 with a pedestrian WHIP of 0.78. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Overall, great numbers.  Last three starts, pitch counts have kept to about 15 innings.  He's not as polished as Blaine Knight who probably is better off with the challenge of the next level.  Peralta has never really had success before. Personally, I would let him have a little more before challenging him at a higher level.

I don’t disagree.