New Rosenthal article on Orioles woes

Going Underground

2 hours ago, atomic said:

you Baltimore County's population is greater than Baltimore City population.  Also if you go to Baltimore Magazine rating of the top 50 restaurants most of them are in the city.  I think suburban and rural people just don't care that much about the quality of the food they are eating. If someone wants to let me know about good restaurants in the county I would be more than happy to keep them in mind. 

Generalize much or do you actually believe this BS?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sessh said:

Sure.. and part of being smart about what you're doing may include opting to not go into one of the most dangerous cities in the world just to get a bite to eat. Violence happens everywhere. Humans are violent in general, but there's a difference between being smart and being scared. A dude shot his girlfriend in her car close to my house not too long ago, but I still walk along that route every single day. I will even walk it at night without any fear at all, but this neighborhood isn't among the most dangerous in the country much less the entire world. Big difference.

That said, I don't eat out much. My diet is based on intermittent fasting daily, so I have to work in/compensate for eating out. Silver Spring Station, Loony's and Santini's are nice. Admittedly though, I don't eat out much and don't remember many places I've only been to once. Eating out is not a big part of my life. Eating healthy is, though. Being overweight is not something that is appealing to me.

Well considering this thread is already off the rails, how do you like doing this? I've considered it but not sure if it works and don't like the idea of being starving sometimes.

28 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Trying to merge the original thread with what it turned into ...

What would the ingredients be in a sandwich named after Ken Rosenthal?

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Ham and baloney.   Stacked short.  

Of course, two slices of bread and “a little turkey” also would work.   

(By the way, I’m just having fun here.    I actually think Rosenthal is a good reporter.)

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Sir, that is the key, its hard for one to drive further for something, where there are closer alternatives you pass along the way.

There is a place I frequent in Odenton, Jims Hideway. Its not a chain, and not fine dining for some, but they have great food.

This is the same as The Hideaway, right? The wings there are as good as I've had. They use a rub, smoke them for 3 hours and flash fry. If wings can be gourmet, they certainly are. Great place.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course, two slices of bread and “a little turkey” also would work.   

(By the way, I’m just having fun here.    I actually think Rosenthal is a good reporter.)

Balogna? Balogna and lettuce with mayo makes a good sandwich. Whatever bread you like. White or brown. Makes no difference. I need  a few chips too. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Well considering this thread is already off the rails, how do you like doing this? I've considered it but not sure if it works and don't like the idea of being starving sometimes.

I think this depends on the person.  I had a friend who swore by it and I tried and I felt dizzy all the time. 

I think it's a tough one to evaluate because those who do it are likely to already be much more conscious of health/weight-loss or actively working toward it than a random person on the street.

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Baltimore County's population is greater than Baltimore City population.  Also if you go to Baltimore Magazine rating of the top 50 restaurants most of them are in the city.  I think suburban and rural people just don't care that much about the quality of the food they are eating. If someone wants to let me know about good restaurants in the county I would be more than happy to keep them in mind. 

While the ultimate conclusion may not be wrong... you do realize that a ranking list in Baltimore Magazine being city-centric isn't necessarily the strongest support for your position, right?

Been doing IF the past few months. First several days are pretty brutal but your body should adapt after like a week or so. Eat my first meal around 12 and dinner around 6. You're really just skipping breakfast and then not snacking after dinner. Stack in lower carbs and any cardio and fat starts to melts off. Could also eat a small meal/snack in between .. you really just want that 16-18 hour fasting window (and you're asleep for most of it).

lol.. Well, for me, I fast 16 hours a day and eat for eight. The eight hours starts when I break my fast which is usually somewhere between 1-2pm. So, if I eat my first food of the day at 2pm, then I can eat until 10pm though I usually stop before that. I find that I don't need as much food as I think I need, but it's hard at first. I also changed a lot of what I eat which is mostly cutting back significantly on foods with added sugars and highly processed stuff. I would recommend easing into it as an 8/16 fasting regimen is a tough starting point. For me, this was the culmination of several intermediate steps along the way trying to find a permanent diet that works for me. It's mostly plant based, but still 10%-15% meat.

Ultimately, one has to find what works best for them as far as food choices, but intermittent fasting has definitely made it easier to keep control of my weight. Obesity runs thick on both sides of my family and diabetes on one, so that was ultimately my motivation to care more about these things since I don't really want to deal with that if I don't have to. When I do eat out, I do so guilt free since I don't do it often and then don't eat much the rest of the day. I find that it works great for me and I'm never starving. I also exercise and work out regularly, too.

14 minutes ago, Finisher said:

Been doing IF the past few months. First several days are pretty brutal but your body should adapt after like a week or so. Eat my first meal around 12 and dinner around 6. You're really just skipping breakfast and then not snacking after dinner. Stack in lower carbs and any cardio and fat starts to melts off. Could also eat a small meal/snack in between .. you really just want that 16-18 hour fasting window (and you're asleep for most of it).

Indeed. My "snacks" are usually fruit or nuts.. maybe a chocolate zucchini muffin. I still eat dark chocolate too. If I cut all that stuff out, I wouldn't be able to stick with it, but I make the healthiest choices I can when it comes to that. My biggest meal most days is a huge smoothie with various things in it; fresh spinach/kale, an avocado, yogurt, a banana or red pear, cherry tomatoes, blueberries.. a muscle milk drink and almond milk with powdered peanut butter, cacao and spirulina. That's like 500-600 calories and nutrient dense plus it tastes delicious. I suppose my diet is pretty boring, but everything I do these days, I do with my future quality of life in mind.

4 hours ago, atomic said:

Baltimore County's population is greater than Baltimore City population.  Also if you go to Baltimore Magazine rating of the top 50 restaurants most of them are in the city.  I think suburban and rural people just don't care that much about the quality of the food they are eating. If someone wants to let me know about good restaurants in the county I would be more than happy to keep them in mind. 

11 of the 50 weren’t in the city. But it makes sense that most would be in the city. A younger more “go out” crowd lives downtown, tourists go downtown, wealthy business people maintain residences near their offices. The county is where you go to live cheaply and raise your kids in safety. Eating out is expensive for families so it gets done less. So it’s riskier to open a restaurant in a sparsely populated area where going out isn’t a priority.

Personally I don’t even know how a magazine about Baltimore justifies putting anything from Annapolis or HoCo in it anyway.

Archived