O's 2020 MLB Draft Chat: Picking #2/30/39/74

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How did he get burned by Aiken?

It wasn’t so much that Aiken was a bad pitcher, but after the Astros drafted him first overall, they discovered an issue with his elbow on the physical and decided to back out of the deal.  It turns out they were right, because Aiken blew his elbow out the following year and hasn’t been right ever since (he got drafted by the Indians in the first round the following year and has struggled in their system).  And it worked out for the Astros because they got a compensation pick at #2 the following year for failure to sign Aiken (all picks in the top 3 rounds are protected) and drafted Alex Bregman, who has turned out to be a stud.

10 minutes ago, Obando said:

It wasn’t so much that Aiken was a bad pitcher, but after the Astros drafted him first overall, they discovered an issue with his elbow on the physical and decided to back out of the deal.  It turns out they were right, because Aiken blew his elbow out the following year and hasn’t been right ever since (he got drafted by the Indians in the first round the following year and has struggled in their system).  And it worked out for the Astros because they got a compensation pick at #2 the following year for failure to sign Aiken (all picks in the top 3 rounds are protected) and drafted Alex Bregman, who has turned out to be a stud.

Exactly.  The Aiken pick didn't hurt them at all.

I don't think missing on one pick, even a 1-1 would color Elias to the point that he would never again use a high draft pick on a pitcher.

• Upvote 1

Keith Law's final mock was released this morning ($):

2. Baltimore Orioles: Austin Martin, 3B/CF, Vanderbilt

There’s still chatter that the O’s would try to cut a steep deal with another college bat, such as Nick Gonzales, Heston Kjerstad, Patrick Bailey, or even high school bat Zac Veen, so that they can go wild at picks 30 and 39 (perhaps taking prep right-hander Nick Bitsko at the first pick). However, Martin is the best player in the class and does several things the O’s value highly, including making very frequent, hard contact, so I think in the end they’ll take him.

26 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Seems like this guy could be a Brian Roberts type player with perhaps a higher ceiling.

I don't expect he'll steal as many bases, but do expect he'll be a notably better player than Roberts. 

Roberts' career 162 game average was .276 BA/.347 OBP/.409 SLG/ .756 OPS with 33 SB, 8 CS, 11 HR, 62 RBI, and a 101 OPS+

Interesting that they have Sabato at 14 - very high, as well with Ed Howard at 10.  They also have Cecconi to the Twins as does other sources.  They have some slippage with Garrett Mitchell going to the LAD.

Quite a run of guys I really like starting with our taking Lange as Mlodzinski, Shuster, Beeter, Miller, Walker and Witt follow with six of the next seven picks.  

Trying to think who that would leave for us at 39 - Ginn, Fulton, Westburg, Carson Montgomery among others.  I really like these college pitchers Mlodzinski, Shuster, Better, Miller and might prefer taking one of them and then seeing which HSer is left from among Montgomery, Lange and others.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hoosiers said:

When I think of Martin's comp, I think it is more to the hitting profile of Nick Markakis - strong contact, strong strike zone control, not too many HRs, better overall speed and baserunner.

I agree, though I think Martin will hit for more average and there's a chance for more power