Cadyn Grenier, 2019

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, cboemmeljr said:

FWIW, the official announcement from Frederick did not come until yesterday at 6:12 pm.  I assume that's when he was officially placed on the roster.

Jack Keffer <JKeffer@frederickkeys.com>

AttachmentsWed, Jul 17, 6:12 PM (13 hours ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

Good Evening, 

The Baltimore Orioles have announced the following roster transactions affecting the Frederick Keys:

RHP Cody Sedlock promoted to Double-A Bowie
INF Ryan Ripken promoted to Double-A Bowie
RHP Nate Karns transferred on MLB rehab assignment to Double-A Bowie
INF Cadyn Grenier received from Low-A Delmarva
OF Cole Billingsley received from Double-A Bowie
C Brett Cumberland received from Double-A Bowie
LHP Cameron Ming reinstated from 7-day injured list
OF Will Robertson reinstated from 7-day injured list and transferred to Low-A Delmarva
INF Yeltsin Gudino outright (trade) to Dunedin (Toronto)
C Jean Carrillo placed on 7-day injured list

Grenier wears #15, Billingsley #6, Cumberland #27 and Ming #48.

With all corresponding moves, the Keys roster is at 25 men. 

Yeah, when it comes to regurgitating press releases, Roch is Johnny on the spot. I guess asking him to monitor the minor league affiliate's Twitter posts is too much to ask.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He has a lot of swing and miss in his swing.  Hoping for the best but ....

But he does walk a lot. And that's not said sarcastically. Striking out more than 1:3 ABs is abysmal, but he's maintained an OPS north of .360 with decent pop. I don't know what to make of Grenier. He was a low ceiling pick with the bat and his defense was his carrying tool. I haven't seen any reports on how he's looked at short. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, WalkWithElias said:

But he does walk a lot. And that's not said sarcastically. Striking out more than 1:3 ABs is abysmal, but he's maintained an OPS north of .360 with decent pop. I don't know what to make of Grenier. He was a low ceiling pick with the bat and his defense was his carrying tool. I haven't seen any reports on how he's looked at short. 

That SO rate at Delmarva for a 22 year old... I just don't have much hope for him.  Hope he proves me wrong.  

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

I think Tony reported that the glove has been disappointing.

I think that was me, maybe Tony said something too, it’s fundamentally good defense, but it’s kind of a stiff look for a MLB SS. He can play there, but I don’t think he’s going to be an asset there. 

My concern with the strikeouts is that they aren’t in my looks a result of expanding the zone or having a bad approach, it’s more that he can’t handle fastballs in the top of the zone, even mediocre velocity fastballs. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

My concern with the strikeouts is that they aren’t in my looks a result of expanding the zone or having a bad approach, it’s more that he can’t handle fastballs in the top of the zone, even mediocre velocity fastballs. 

Very interesting. I'd personally be more concerned if it was the opposite. I (probably naively) assume that you can adjust hand placement, load and timing mechanisms to learn how to get on top of high fastballs more easily than you could learn to lay off of an Adam Jones low and away slider. 

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I think that was me, maybe Tony said something too, it’s fundamentally good defense, but it’s kind of a stiff look for a MLB SS. He can play there, but I don’t think he’s going to be an asset there. 

Semi-related...  I always thought that Hardy's defense looked really stiff, but the metrics loved him if I recall correctly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t see the fascination with this guy.  Perhaps he can field but can’t hit worth a lick.  Seems like an organizational guy to me that’s getting promoted and hyped bc of his draft status.  I thought Adam Hall deserved the bump to Frederick before Cadyn.  I’ve never seen him play but I’m extremely skeptical of his upside. 

Just now, Punchandjudy said:

I don’t see the fascination with this guy.  Perhaps he can field but can’t hit worth a lick.  Seems like an organizational guy to me that’s getting promoted and hyped bc of his draft status.  I thought Adam Hall deserved the bump to Frederick before Cadyn.  I’ve never seen him play but I’m extremely skeptical of his upside. 

I'm watching him closely because I called him a huge reach when drafted and I greatly enjoy being right.

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm watching him closely because I called him a huge reach when drafted and I greatly enjoy being right.

The player who was drafted him is a 19-year-old middle infielder named Xavier Edwards who's hitting .337 in Advanced A ball right now. He and Adam Hall could have been a really great double play combo together. 

On 7/25/2019 at 3:24 PM, canonfaz said:

Semi-related...  I always thought that Hardy's defense looked really stiff, but the metrics loved him if I recall correctly. 

About a year ago, I was watching an old Orioles baseball game and I thought I was watching JJ Hardy play when I saw Mark Belanger play shortstop. They had an identical throwing motion to first base. It made me understand why some of the older Orioles fans loved JJ Hardy so much.