There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think he's a bit overrated.  Like Hendrix he didn't live long enough to round out his game.

He was great at what he did, but a bit limited.

I admire his talent, I just hate the way his band sounds on all their recordings.  

On the flip side of that coin, neither one lived long enough to put out clunker albums.  

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ChuckS said:

Just reading this stuff makes me angry. 

It's going to make me even angrier if the motivation is to pick a guy who will sign under slot.  

I still think they take Rutschman because in a sport where this heavy risks in the draft I can't imagine them not taking the guy with clearly the highest floor who also might have the highest upside.  

If he signs under slot and the O's leave a bunch of money unspent I can respect (and will share) the anger.  If they go underslot and spend the money in the later rounds what's the problem?

It isn't the strategy I would use this year but it isn't being cheap.

The article on MLB.com mentions Vaughn and Bleday as being the two guys they under the most consideration.  I don't get this at all.  Neither is clearly the top prospect available and from a positional standpoint, more first basemen and outfielders are the last things we need.  

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If he signs under slot and the O's leave a bunch of money unspent I can respect (and will share) the anger.  If they go underslot and spend the money in the later rounds what's the problem?

It isn't the strategy I would use this year but it isn't being cheap.

The problem is the disparity in talent between the player you are bypassing and the kind of players who are likely to be available in the later rounds.  It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

The article on MLB.com mentions Vaughn and Bleday as being the two guys they under the most consideration.  I don't get this at all.  Neither is clearly the top prospect available and from a positional standpoint, more 1B and outfielders are the last things we need.  

If I squint I can see Vaughn.  He could be a Goldschmidt type guy.  I don't get Bleday at all. 

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

The problem is the disparity in talent between the player you are bypassing and the kind of players who are likely to be available in the later rounds.  It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.  

But you can target the right players.  I wouldn't dismiss the strategy out of hand.

18 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Take this with a grain of salt guys!

I just hope that if they don't take him. That it doesn't blow up in our faces like it normally does. Because we all know that you get the chance to get the consensus best player every year.

I mean for once it would be nice to get the player every other team is drooling over...Right!?

Since 1991 has any team in baseball been worse at first round picks than Baltimore? 

(Post Mussina)

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

If I squint I can see Vaughn.  He could be a Goldschmidt type guy.  I don't get Bleday at all. 

Problem with Vaughn is we would likely need the BEST CASE scenario for Vaughn to play out for him to give us more value than AR reaching his mid-case outcome.  And positional need matters here too.  We have one of the best (now) first base prospects in the game knocking on the door from Triple A. 

6 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Since 1991 has any team in baseball been worse at first round picks than Baltimore? 

We got Machado, Markakis and Brian Roberts so I am sure there teams that have done worse. 

Archived