Elias J2 International Orioles

interloper

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

That would make a good case to spend that money then. We will lose the ability to spend it if we don’t do anything.

Or, we could spend it on other organizational needs. It's not actual money. Clubs still spend their own money on these signings.

I'm not opposed to signing more guys, but it would be pretty dumb to through a few million at a guy just because we have the pool and he's the best guy remaining.

23 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Or, we could spend it on other organizational needs. It's not actual money. Clubs still spend their own money on these signings.

I'm not opposed to signing more guys, but it would be pretty dumb to through a few million at a guy just because we have the pool and he's the best guy remaining.

Elias said he did not expect to trade any slots.   That implies that he expects to spend them.    Not necessarily on this player.    Last year we signed quite a few guys long after J2.    I assume we spent more on J2 in 2019, but we really don’t know how much they have left, or how that compares with other teams.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Elias said he did not expect to trade any slots.   That implies that he expects to spend them.    Not necessarily on this player.    Last year we signed quite a few guys long after J2.    I assume we spent more on J2 in 2019, but we really don’t know how much they have left, or how that compares with other teams.   

I'm all for it. Was just offering an opinion to the question of "why not" offer the full remainder of our slot to what anonymous scouts equate to a second round talent.

1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I'm all for it. Was just offering an opinion to the question of "why not" offer the full remainder of our slot to what anonymous scouts equate to a second round talent.

Anonymous scouts thought Hobgood was a first round talent.

7 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I don’t buy into billion dollar organizations crying poor about stuff. There’s nothing this team wouldn’t be able to afford because they spent their full allotment.

Spending it is better than not spending it because once it is gone, it’s gone.

29 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I don’t buy into billion dollar organizations crying poor about stuff. There’s nothing this team wouldn’t be able to afford because they spent their full allotment.

I wasn't addressing whether or not they could afford it. The question was why not give our full remaining allotment to the Cuban pitcher coming available. They shouldn't spend it just because they can. I can think of several reasons why not spending the full allotment could be the best option.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

2 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I wasn't addressing whether or not they could afford it. The question was why not give our full remaining allotment to the Cuban pitcher coming available. They shouldn't spend it just because they can. I can think of several reasons why not spending the full allotment could be the best option.

As @CallMeBrooksie says, it's not a matter of whether the O's can afford $2.5m to throw at a player, but it makes zero sense to allocate that kind of money to any player that your scouts say isn't worth it. If they believe he's more likely a $1.25m prospect, then I could see us offering to sign him for that amount or even a bit higher... but not $2.5m 'because they can'.

I think @Enjoy Terror (and most others, including me) would like to see us utilize the full amount, whether on this pitcher and/or others, but that's only if there are players worth it. It would be a foolish thing to tell the owner that you (Elias) decided to use $2.5m on a player that wasn't worth it... 

10 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

What if our scouts aren't high on him? Should we throw $2.5 mil at him just because we still have the allotment? 

Remember the pool is not actual money... just the ability to spend it.

Yes. 

We could sit here all offseason and rationalize not signing Cuban players. We did it last year with the Mesa brothers, Yolbert Sanchez, and Sandy Gaston. 

I guess none of our scouts liked any of them. 

For $2.5 million we should view these guys like Gunnar Henderson and not Yoennis Cespedes. 

10 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

They have plenty of extra money. They can afford to give someone the 2.5 million. With the payroll down and it being even lower next year they have the money to blow.

39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yes. 

We could sit here all offseason and rationalize not signing Cuban players. We did it last year with the Mesa brothers, Yolbert Sanchez, and Sandy Gaston. 

I guess none of our scouts liked any of them. 

For $2.5 million we should view these guys like Gunnar Henderson and not Yoennis Cespedes. 

It's not about where the player is from. You don't just give out that kind of money to a prospect just because you can afford it. If our scouts didn't like the Mesas enough to outbid Miami, then they made a great decision (though I'm not convinced that money was the deciding factor. May have just been dumb luck for us).

You asked "why not?" I gave you a plausible reason why not

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

They have plenty of extra money. They can afford to give someone the 2.5 million. With the payroll down and it being even lower next year they have the money to blow.

Again,  I'm not arguing wether they can afford it. But you don't just spend for spendings sake. What if the money not spent on prospects that they don't believe in can go towards an Orioles facility in the DR? We don't know... But they're not going to be foolish and write millions of dollars in checks to prospects they don't like just because they have the pool.

We have a reason to believe Elias wants to continue spending this year's pool, so we'll see what happens.