Trade Preferences

Greg Pappas

Definitely gotta go for quality. The unfortunate part of that is you’ve got to give up quality to get it. The O’s have none. Sure, they could trade Mancini or Bundy but they’re just not quality players. They are okay on a good team. Cashner or Villar could go but they’re even less than okay. We’ve got no strengths to part with. It’ll have to be smart/lucky trades to have any kind of impact. 

I wonder if guys like Sisco or Mountcastle would have any value for less developed pieces? They can hit but there’s too many OF/DH/1B types in this organization and they still have a little bit of that prospect shine that someone like Mancini or Nunez don’t have. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I was trying to look and see if Mancini was ever on a top 100 list and didn't see anything.  I know that top 100s fail and other guys succeed and he could well just be one of them.  It seems he was always a guy that would hit, but need to find his defensive home.

While clearly I can't guarantee it, and that changes things, but what if the O's traded Mancini and got back a 3 year younger Mancini and a guy the would be a strong 7th-8th inning setup reliever?  3 more years of Mancini offense at low prices and a strong reliever.  Neither type would be a top 100, but without us contending the next 2 years, would that be a trade people would see as a net positive?  Clearly we wouldn't know the outcome now, but I think it would still work out in our current situation.

I think the quantity v quality argument needs to include a third dimension--minor league level.  We could possibly pick up a few high ceiling players from lower levels.  Higher chance of failure, but chance to hit on someone better than a mediocre AA player.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’d trade Mancini, Bundy, and Cashner. I think teams would play Mancini in the OF this year. So I think the bat will force a bigger market than what we are thinking now. Teams know what they are getting in Bundy.  He could be a real solid #3 in the NL, and on a team that has the luxury to manage his IP. Cashner would basically just be an IP eater. 

We’re not going to be “contending” again until 2022. No reason to have Bundy and Mancini around during their arbitration. 

Ideally we would get back some high ceiling guys that are in A ball, that wouldn’t require 40 man protection this offseason. 

I'm with you on this and it would pain me as I'm a huge fan of Mancini and Bundy. But if Elias gets offers he deems as worthy then pull the trigger on a trade.

Also would field offers on Givens, Nunez, Villar (who badly needs a hot streak) and any other player a teams calls about. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

Is there supposed to be a juxtaposition there? It's sort of apples-oranges.  Given 3 starting OF for each team, Mancini would be just below the top-third of all AL starters, while Davis is just above the bottom-third of all AL starting 1B.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I'm with you on this and it would pain me as I'm a huge fan of Mancini and Bundy. But if Elias gets offers he deems as worthy then pull the trigger on a trade.

Also would field offers on Givens, Nunez, Villar (who badly needs a hot streak) and any other player a teams calls about. 

If a team values Villar at SS, then he's a bit interesting.  I'd like to see us force Nunez to stick at 3rd.  He's got a strong arm, soft hand, but just below average range.  Givens has been a train wreck recently, and is coming off a down year in 2018.  

Then again, I don't think we have too many players on this team that will be here when we are ready to possibly contend in 21' and 22'.  So trade em all.  We shouldn't risk losing a potential player that will be here in 21-22' for a guy that is just a placeholder now.  So we need to factor that into any trade offers we get on players.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If a team values Villar at SS, then he's a bit interesting.  I'd like to see us force Nunez to stick at 3rd.  He's got a strong arm, soft hand, but just below average range.  Givens has been a train wreck recently, and is coming off a down year in 2018.  

Then again, I don't think we have too many players on this team that will be here when we are ready to possibly contend in 21' and 22'.  So trade em all.  We shouldn't risk losing a potential player that will be here in 21-22' for a guy that is just a placeholder now.  So we need to factor that into any trade offers we get on players.  

Can Nunes play well enough with the glove to stick at 3B? I don't know enough about him to have an opinion. That would be huge if he could play anywhere on the field. I was under the assumption that he was more like Mountcastle and had to be a DH/1B type.

1 hour ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Is there supposed to be a juxtaposition there? It's sort of apples-oranges.  Given 3 starting OF for each team, Mancini would be just below the top-third of all AL starters, while Davis is just above the bottom-third of all AL starting 1B.

Anybody voting for Davis has to be just mocking the process.  

6 hours ago, oriole said:

Definitely gotta go for quality. The unfortunate part of that is you’ve got to give up quality to get it. The O’s have none. Sure, they could trade Mancini or Bundy but they’re just not quality players. They are okay on a good team. Cashner or Villar could go but they’re even less than okay. We’ve got no strengths to part with. It’ll have to be smart/lucky trades to have any kind of impact. 

I wonder if guys like Sisco or Mountcastle would have any value for less developed pieces? They can hit but there’s too many OF/DH/1B types in this organization and they still have a little bit of that prospect shine that someone like Mancini or Nunez don’t have. 

This is what you see when you take off the orange tinted glasses. #truthbomb

• 2 weeks later...

I talked about this previously, but in a year when we are still trying to get our foot in the door in the international market for players. I will not be surprised if Elias trades a player or two for an international player that signs on July 2nd. That's how the astro's acquired Yordan Alverez, their top-3 prospect. They traded for him immediately after he signed with the dodgers and it has paid off big time. It would not surprise me if Elias is going to use this tactic to add a top level international talent to an international class that sounds to be a bunch of solid but not elite talent.

Archived