What's with the Yusniel regression?

interloper

9 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

3 doubles in fact. He is batting .349/.408/.674 in July, up to .255/.336/.485 overall, 13th in the league in OPS,  the next highest player under 23 is Mickey Moniak  at 38th. They are the only two players under 23 in the top 50 in OPS in the Eastern League.

He's younger than Victor Victor. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

3 doubles in fact. He is batting .349/.408/.674 in July, up to .255/.336/.485 overall, 13th in the league in OPS,  the next highest player under 23 is Mickey Moniak  at 38th. They are the only two players under 23 in the top 50 in OPS in the Eastern League.

To add to this, for the year his wOBA is .366 and wRC+ is 138. Both of those are very good. If you squint (and focus on the time since his rehab) you can almost see the .407 and 152 from last year on the Dodgers, when everyone had him as a great prospect.

Edited by makoman

4 minutes ago, makoman said:

To add to this, for the year his wOBA is .366 and wRC+ is 138. Both of those are very good. If you squint (and focus on the time since his rehab) you can almost see the .407 and 152 from last year on the Dodgers, when everyone had him as a great prospect.

You don't have to squint. He's one of the very best hitters in the Eastern League bottom line. And he's still young enough.

1 hour ago, LTO's said:

You don't have to squint. He's one of the very best hitters in the Eastern League bottom line. And he's still young enough.

I'm starting to agree with this. I think he's found his legs. He struggled around his injuries, but has put up an .825 OPS over the last 90 days even despite those struggles. I wish he hit for a better average, but the OBP and power seem to be present. 

4 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I'm starting to agree with this. I think he's found his legs. He struggled around his injuries, but has put up an .825 OPS over the last 90 days even despite those struggles. I wish he hit for a better average, but the OBP and power seem to be present. 

The BA seems to be coming — .349 in July, .300 since June 12.

• Upvote 1

I've been waiting for him to move up, but now it looks like they are keeping everyone there to try and win the league. I think I'd trade Diaz for Rifaela and try to win the championship without him and let Diaz get a month of AAA at bats and see if he's ready next spring.

6 minutes ago, orioles22 said:

I've been waiting for him to move up, but now it looks like they are keeping everyone there to try and win the league. I think I'd trade Diaz for Rifaela and try to win the championship without him and let Diaz get a month of AAA at bats and see if he's ready next spring.

I'll be pretty disappointed if it comes out that they are worried more about team championships than they are player development.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll be pretty disappointed if it comes out that they are worried more about team championships than they are player development.

I agree, I don't think developmental decisions are/will be based on the standings and playoffs.  Elias seems to be very deliberate in the moves he makes.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, orioles22 said:

I think that would be a logical move. Diaz now has a year in Bowie alone, plus some games with the Dodgers AA team. Let the guy get some AAA time. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think that would be a logical move. Diaz now has a year in Bowie alone, plus some games with the Dodgers AA team. Let the guy get some AAA time. 

Problem is Diaz only has an .821 OPS in 59 AA games in 2019, so its not like he's dominating, other than this recent hot stretch. There's no rush to promote him with those numbers.