Trumbo rehab begins again 8/27/19

interloper

14 hours ago, atomic said:

I doubt that is true. Probably the opposite. These guys are always injured and are their 20 and their 30s.  I never had an injury that kept me from sports until my 50s and I played a lot more intense sports than baseball. 

That game you played as a kid - the one where you let the garage door come down on your head - must have really improved your physical stamina.

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

In a Dan Connolly article in the Athletic, Mark Trumbo, perhaps sensing the imminent end of his Oriole career, wants to set the record straight on the pie thing.

He says he has nothing to do with the end of the pies.  The night he got double pies in his postgame interview, yes the pie got so much in his face that he had to end the interview to clean it off.  But he said he enjoyed the pies as much as anyone and had nothing to do with ending it.

That edict came from the warehouse via Buck.  They had previously stopped the pieings but Adam had revived them.

The Orioles were 70-67 on the night Trumbo was the final pie victim.  They are 73-183 since.

Who says the local scribes never ask the tough questions?  Thanks Steve!

usa_today_10258927.0.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

In a Dan Connolly article in the Athletic, Mark Trumbo, perhaps sensing the imminent end of his Oriole career, wants to set the record straight on the pie thing.

He says he has nothing to do with the end of the pies.  The night he got double pies in his postgame interview, yes the pie got so much in his face that he had to end the interview to clean it off.  But he said he enjoyed the pies as much as anyone and had nothing to do with ending it.

That edict came from the warehouse via Buck.  They had previously stopped the pieings but Adam had revived them.

The Orioles were 70-67 on the night Trumbo was the final pie victim.  They are 73-183 since.

“At no point did I ever either go to Buck or go to upper management and say that I had any problem with it all,” he said.

“For a long time, I think it’s been something where there’s been a little bit of confusion,” Trumbo said. “I think it had to do with the fact that it probably was one of the last times that it happened and it probably came off that I was the one that somehow went in there, raised hell and said that this has got to stop. When there was none of that whatsoever.”

Jones corroborated the story. He thinks Trumbo’s role was more coincidental than anything.

“I never was told it was Trumbo, either. He was just the last one,” Jones, now with the Arizona Diamondbacks, said in a text. “My understanding is it was upstairs (in the organization) and I did what any good employee does. I complied. I think the public blamed Trumbo. Not me. But I’m sure I smoked him. I’ve got heavy hands.”

So, if there really is a curse of the pies, Trumbo should be exempt.

• Upvote 2

On 6/13/2019 at 5:24 PM, mdbdotcom said:

I suspect that the point at which a major league ballplayer complains of a little soreness is the point when most of us would be in the ER for unbearable pain.

I am certain that you are right. Some folks think the martial arts or MMA are the toughest, but the 162 grind is real. A lot of things go wrong. You play through it for the most part. 

42 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I have always said that the criticism of Trumbo’s reaction to the pie was utterly ridiculous.    I’m glad Trumbo addressed it.    He’s a good guy and from what I’ve been able to tell, well liked in the clubhouse.  It’s a shame this knee injury may put an end to his career.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have always said that the criticism of Trumbo’s reaction to the pie was utterly ridiculous.    I’m glad Trumbo addressed it.    He’s a good guy and from what I’ve been able to tell, well liked in the clubhouse.  It’s a shame this knee injury may put an end to his career.

So he didn't like: Felix Pie? But Dangerously Delicious Pies not too sure. Also hates this :

Image result for pi

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Criticism of Trumbo may well be unfair, commenting on the obvious breakdown of the clubhouse and the performance on the field, however, noticeably changes around that time.  Trumbo does seem like a good guy and no doubt there is plenty of blame to go around.  But somewhere around the time of the double pie...The Orioles window slammed shut.

1 hour ago, weams said:

I am certain that you are right. Some folks think the martial arts or MMA are the toughest, but the 162 grind is real. A lot of things go wrong. You play through it for the most part. 

I heard Ryan Spilborghs one day discussing how hard the 162 game schedule and all the travel are. He said that playing a day game after a night game was an almost inhuman ask, and that late in his career he was able to hang on as the guy who would play the day game in place of someone too beat up to play after the game the night before.

• Upvote 1

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

I heard Ryan Spilborghs one day discussing how hard the 162 game schedule and all the travel are. He said that playing a day game after a night game was an almost inhuman ask, and that late in his career he was able to hang on as the guy who would play the day game in place of someone too beat up to play after the game the night before.

Spilly? Man, that guy is annoying.