SAN-TAN-DARE

AJHoesnkakes

11 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

I am glad that Major League Baseball has made it a priority to pronounce players names correctly and include accent marks on uniforms. We have come a long way from Bob Clemente.

When I was a kid I thought it was odd that George Bell suddenly changed his name to Jorge one year.  What no one mentioned is that was his given name, and the people who had insisted on George were Americans who didn't like "weird" names.

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When I was a kid I thought it was odd that George Bell suddenly changed his name to Jorge one year.  What no one mentioned is that was his given name, and the people who had insisted on George were Americans who didn't like "weird" names.

Wow, I didn't realize until just now that George Bell was actually Jorge Bell. Although come to think of it, it is a little odd that Juan Bell would have an older brother named George.

25 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

When my dad (Jorge) was a teenager he announced to his mom that she should call him George because they lived in America now. This created several years of strife. Then my dad went off to college, came back on break and announced to his mom: "Don't call me George, my name is Jorge!"

• Upvote 1

The pronunciation is correct if you are speaking Spanish.  The "e" in Spanish is pronounced like the long "a" in English and the "-er" at the end of a word is usually emphasized.

I guess it boils down to what one wants to hear - the Anglicized version of names or the way they are pronounced in their native tongues.  If they were going to do that for all of the Spanish names in baseball (native pronunciation), it would get obnoxious for most American viewers.  In fact, most American broadcasters wouldn't be able to properly pronounce a lot of the names (like rolling the "r" in Spanish names that begin "r" or have a double "r" in the middle, for example).  It seems like if you are going to do this for one, you should do it for all.  Otherwise, stick with the Anglicized pronunciations and be done.

I wonder how Harry Caray would have pronounced his name?

14 hours ago, Ruzious said:

Based on my freshman HS Spanish class, I think it's NAH.  

That's actually funny. I originally had it as "NAH" in my post, but didn't know if it sounded the same as if it were read so I put "NAR". But yeah, I thought that's how you said it. "NAH". 

Gary Thorne just wild with it. Still my mans though!

17 hours ago, Yossarian said:

If they were going to do that for all of the Spanish names in baseball (native pronunciation), it would get obnoxious for most American viewers.

At least the ones who like being annoyed and making sure everyone knows it.  I think most Americans would quickly adapt to pronouncing stuff correctly.  Most Americans don't travel abroad, but we're no longer in a world where it's a very long and perilous voyage to somewhere that doesn't speak American English.

When I was in Japan people would call me Jona-san instead of Jonathan.  That was great, they were trying, even if they didn't have the pronunciation quite right. That's what I'd hope Americans can do: try, instead of making up a nickname for everyone whose name is slightly challenging.

3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

At least the ones who like being annoyed and making sure everyone knows it.  I think most Americans would quickly adapt to pronouncing stuff correctly.  Most Americans don't travel abroad, but we're no longer in a world where it's a very long and perilous voyage to somewhere that doesn't speak American English.

When I was in Japan people would call me Jona-san instead of Jonathan.  That was great, they were trying, even if they didn't have the pronunciation quite right. That's what I'd hope Americans can do: try, instead of making up a nickname for everyone whose name is slightly challenging.

You should be more sensitive to the needs of others DruHaz.