Adley is in Baltimore (Signed)

weams

3 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Do we think September 2020 is a realistic possibility for Adley's debut?

I'm no expert but I would think May or June-ish 2021, whenever the extra year of control kicks in. And of course IF he tears up the minors. And if/when he's a fully ready catcher/Field General. Not your average position player.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, jabba72 said:

Does he go to Aberdeen? Delmarva? Frederick?

Cadyn Grenier says send him to Delmarva to work with Rom and Grayrod:

Elias hasn’t said where Rutschman would start.

“It’s cool that he could have a chance to come play with us and try to help us win a championship here,” Grenier said.

“… Adley would mix right in with us, with no problem. He’d fit in perfectly. It would be a lot of fun tor me to be with him again. It would probably be easier for him because I’ve been in pro ball for almost a full year. Helping him get going in pro ball would be huge.”

If Rutschman comes to the Shorebirds instead of starting at Short-Season Aberdeen, he would catch promising pitchers Grayson Rodriguez and Drew Rom, who are two years younger and were drafted from high school.

“Having someone like Adley behind the plate gives every pitcher a lot more confidence,” Grenier said. “The way he carries himself. He kind of hypes up the pitchers when they get out of huge jams. It helps them build their confidence, keep their confidence up, even if they have a rough inning.

“Even for guys like Drew and Grayson, who have had great years and are awesome pitchers, having him back there could boost him a little more. It’s going to help the back-end guys in the bullpen who are maybe struggling or don’t throw a ton. Having him back there gives them a lot more confidence that they can throw all their stuff.”

Grenier says that Rutschman is a “laid-back, calm guy. He’s got a great personality, very sociable, very kind, very genuine … somebody that’s just a joy to talk to.”

https://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2019/06/25/orioles-new-era-truly-begins-adley-rutschman-signing/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Do we think September 2020 is a realistic possibility for Adley's debut?

Why would the Orioles want to start his clock in a year where they have no way of being competitive? At earliest you're probably looking like 3 or 4 weeks into the 2021 season like the Cubs did with Kris Bryant so they gain the extra year of control. Then again I believe 2021 is when the new player/owner negotiations take place so who knows what new rules will be in pace or if there will be any games to play.

18 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Why would the Orioles want to start his clock in a year where they have no way of being competitive? At earliest you're probably looking like 3 or 4 weeks into the 2021 season like the Cubs did with Kris Bryant so they gain the extra year of control. Then again I believe 2021 is when the new player/owner negotiations take place so who knows what new rules will be in pace or if there will be any games to play.

I think it would be cool for the O's to come out and say that they want Rutschman to get a full year at, say, AA, and just leave him there for 140 games.  It could be like the old days when MLB teams respected their affiliates (or were forced to by agreements) and were really careful about calling up a guy in mid-season and disrupting the minor league team.  Someone like Rutschman could hit .320 with 42 homers and 125 RBI, nobody does that in the minors any more.  Say it's for development and working with the pitchers.  With side benefit of not starting his clock.

7 hours ago, scOtt said:

I'm no expert but I would think May or June-ish 2021, whenever the extra year of control kicks in. And of course IF he tears up the minors. And if/when he's a fully ready catcher/Field General. Not your average position player.

Much closer to reality in my opinion.  Don't be surprised if it's not till 2022.  I know that may sound crazy now, but Elias ostensibly wants a track record of success at each level but I suspect he is more interested in team control especially given the current state of the franchise and timeline associated with a return to winning.

1 minute ago, Punchandjudy said:

Much closer to reality in my opinion.  Don't be surprised if it's not till 2022.  I know that may sound crazy now, but Elias ostensibly wants a track record of success at each level but I suspect he is more interested in team control especially given the current state of the franchise and timeline associated with a return to winning.

Would be in defience of recent history and would be in all probability a diservice to the player.

Archived