vs. D-RAYS, 7/01

OFFNY

Just now, Sessh said:

I don't think it's "pushing" when he's at 75 pitches and cruising. Kline is ready, so let Eshelman try to get through the sixth at least. If he gets into trouble, then go to the bullpen. Guy throws 6-7+ innings pretty consistently in the minors, so it's not pushing to me at all.

It isn't just about pitch counts.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Sessh said:

I don't think it's "pushing" when he's at 75 pitches and cruising. Kline is ready, so let Eshelman try to get through the sixth at least. If he gets into trouble, then go to the bullpen. Guy throws 6-7+ innings pretty consistently in the minors, so it's not pushing to me at all.

I understand this line of thinking, but I saw Eshelman get crushed once he hit the 5th inning and around 75 pitches in AAA in his last start. He also doesn't have the stuff to go through a lineup more than twice in my opinion. At the end of the day, he made his debut, Hyde got him out while he felt good, Kline was terrible. I don't blame Hyde at all.

2 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Eshelman was only at 75 pitches, had retired nine of the previous ten hitters, was pitching on six days rest and oh yeah, the Orioles bullpen is a flaming bag of doo doo. I don't think it's unreasonable at all to try to get one more inning out of him.

O's pen last 10.2 innings before Kline came in:

10.2 innings, 1 run, 11 walks, 2 strikeouts.

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Yep. He had settled in and I like his chances better than Kline. The job is managing, not anticipating failure. Generally, the numbers say third time through is not as good. Generally. But in this instance the Rays are unfamiliar with Eschelman, no reason to take him out when he’s cruising. Just be ready to move if he runs into trouble.

I was real happy for the kid but he had zero K’s. With his stuff I would have taken him out as well. 

I’m happy for Eshelman. I had to work at 2-0, came back and it’s 2-2, and I was thinking,” Hey Mike! Maybe you got an Average Joe!”

And Blink Blink 3-run home run.

oh well...

maybe we can keep Eshy and send down Kline?

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I understand this line of thinking, but I saw Eshelman get crushed once he hit the 5th inning and around 75 pitches in AAA in his last start. He also doesn't have the stuff to go through a lineup more than twice in my opinion. At the end of the day, he made his debut, Hyde got him out while he felt good, Kline was terrible. I don't blame Hyde at all.

Sure, but using one of the worst starts of the season at AAA to justify pulling him in this game isn't all that logical when you consider that he had gone 7+ innings in four of five starts prior to that one and at least six in all five of them. Obviously, he can get through a lineup more than twice and does so on a fairly consistent basis. Don't baby him now. He also threw over 95 pitches in five of the last six starts. So, I'm not sure how you can say he can't get through a lineup more than twice when he'd been doing that in most of his starts in AAA this season.

I do blame Hyde for taking him out too early. He should have been allowed to at least try to get through the sixth. I am glad he pitched well at least.

Archived