2019-2020 International Signings Thread

2 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

So, I'm not 100% sure, but a number of people are saying the international slot the Orioles traded to the Cubs is a 2019/20 slot and not a 2018/19. Considering the Cubs have already exceeded their budget by signing just 3 players, I'm starting to think that's likely true.

I’m a hundred percent sure. Those number of people are all wrong. Wishful hoping. 

11 hours ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Can anyone answer this: Yankees are shown to have 5.4m and yet have signed the number 1 for 5m and Diaz to 1.2m. Can they make these deals before they buy more slots?? Or are these just “agreements” until they can get more slots?

I’m an Orioles fan so this international thing is so new to me.

The rules are that you May sign for more than your slots. You must accumulate enough slots for what you have spent during the signing year. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, weams said:

I’m a hundred percent sure. Those number of people are all wrong. Wishful hoping. 

I’m still confused.  When did we trade an international bonus slot to the Cubs?  If you are talking about the Zoellner trade, that was with the Phillies, and it was for a bonus slot during the 2018-2019 signing period.  Please explain, because I don’t understand where this claim originated from.  Thanks.

1 minute ago, Obando said:

I’m still confused.  When did we trade an international bonus slot to the Cubs?  If you are talking about the Zoellner trade, that was with the Phillies, and it was for a bonus slot during the 2018-2019 signing period.  Please explain, because I don’t understand where this claim originated from.  Thanks.

You can not trade away slots for a future signing period.

Dan did and thankfully MLB didn't penalize the team for his transgression.

10 minutes ago, weams said:

Here’s the deal. You can go over your allotment. You are just banned for a few years. Or you can simply trade for the space through the end of the signing period. When it is reconciled. 

It is a hard cap now, you cannot spend over your combined allotment and what you have traded for. Contracts that put a team over would not be approved by MLB.

6 minutes ago, Obando said:

Araujo was Rule V cut, sent back to Cubs and then traded for with International money.  That's the only Cubs trade I can think of that would make sense.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/04/orioles-re-acquire-pedro-araujo.html

edit: not saying it was 2018/19/20 money, just that the O's traded slots to the Cubs.

5 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Araujo was Rule V cut, sent back to Cubs and then traded for with International money.  That's the only Cubs trade I can think of that would make sense.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/04/orioles-re-acquire-pedro-araujo.html

edit: not saying it was 2018/19/20 money, just that the O's traded slots to the Cubs.

Thanks.  The Araujo trade was made before 7/2/19, so the bonus slot would have had to be for the 2018-2019 signing period.

2 minutes ago, Obando said:

Thanks.  The Araujo trade was made before 7/2/19, so the bonus slot would have had to be for the 2018-2019 signing period.

Makes sense it would be for 2019, but as others have mentioned this International thing is new to me.  They don't always announce specifics for International money so "future considerations" wouldn't have surprised me either.  However, considering the work going in today, it seems that they planned on using the money this year.  So old international confederate money makes more sense.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I were unhappy about how things were going today trust me you would have noticed.

So far it looks like a perfectly reasonable advancement in the team's international effort.

So you are saying you were wrong about the Angelos' not allowing Elias to spend money in the international market? :)

22 minutes ago, Obando said:

For Araujo. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think most of us would be pretty annoyed if they hadn't, given how low the bar was.  This is a nice first step in the process.

Just going back through the thread and yes! You said something that was "nice". :)

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

So you are saying you were wrong about the Angelos' not allowing Elias to spend money in the international market? :)

I said he wasn't allowed to spend freely last period, which I still believe.

I expected the level of commitment we've seen today.

25 minutes ago, Obando said:

In the J2 2018-2109 signing year. Pedro. Araujo when he was reclaimed by the Cubs on our return of their rule 5 player. If they sis not even spend that money last year, they still got the good part of that trade.