Astros Designate AJ Reed

weams

52 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I was the one who mentioned it, but I was more focused on Davis.   I didn’t say we should DFA Núñez, I said I didn’t think we should pick up Reed unless we were willing to DFA Davis or Núñez and let Reed play.

I found that stat about hitting homers vs. LHP/RHP in the first half to be laughably obscure.    

To me it’s says he’s been equally effective against both lefties and righties. Unfortunately he needs to find a position.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Reed has never played in the International League.   I think a couple of months there would be a good test.   

I think he might be a change of scenery guy. I’m not so sure another stint at AAA would motivate him

Just now, Roll Tide said:

I think he might be a change of scenery guy. I’m not so sure another stint at AAA would motivate him

If the possibility of making it to the majors with the O's doesn't motivate him, then the O's should not want him.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

To me it’s says he’s been equally effective against both lefties and righties. Unfortunately he needs to find a position.

How so?  He's had 204 PA vs RHP and 121 vs LHP.  His OPS is 207 points higher against LHP.

On 7/5/2019 at 8:46 AM, Frobby said:

I have not posted in this thread until now, and just looked at Reed for the first time with a totally open mind.   I don’t think you appreciate enough the environment Reed has been playing in.    Just starting with 2019, the PCL as a whole is hitting .274/.352/.472, and Round Rock is hitting .279/.365/.499.    Reed is hitting .224/.329/.469.    That is well below the league and team average in all three slash categories.    Meanwhile, the International League is hitting .266/.343/.449, Norfolk is hitting .266/.331/.428 and Ryan Mountcastle is hitting .304/.327/.503, well above league and team average in BA and SLG and much closer in OBP than Reed is.    And Mountcastle is 4 years younger.   

That said, I would not be against cutting Chris Davis and giving Reed a half-season to show what he can do.   Looking at Reed’s season, he had a .459 OPS in April and missed more than half the month with injuries, then returned in early May and put up .832 in May and .987 in June.    So, he’s on the upswing, and what the heck, he can’t be worse than Davis.   I think Mountcastle is likely to be better in the long run, but for now I’d prefer him in AAA and taking a flyer on Reed in the meantime can’t hurt anything.   

That might be okay. Cutting Davis and giving Reed a chance.

• 1 month later...

Archived