The upcoming 2nd half: What are you looking forward to? (no trades)

Moose Milligan

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Not really.   Davis was not hitting and Mancini gets hurt.  So Hyde plays Nunez and Ruiz at 1B.   They  don't even talk about calling up Mountcastle even though he is hitting at AAA,  Nunez goes in a deep slump.  No call up for Mountcastle.   

The O's rotation sucks but Akin has not been called up once all season.

You don't like it but service time plays a role.  Just wait until ST when Mountcastle and Akin get sent to Norfolk for two weeks.  Then we can talk about that.

Akin isn't on the 40.  Why lose someone on the 40 to call up Akin?  If Akin gets called up at some point he's going to get sent back down right?  So you lose an option year on Akin.  It makes all the sense in the world not to call up Akin without involving service time.

As for Mountcastle, who are you going to drop off the 40 and 25 man for Mountcastle?  I'd love to drop Davis for him but somehow I don't see that happening.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if he does a relief pitcher?  Does anyone have an example of a relief pitched being held down for service time reasons?  Just send them down during the season when you need a fresh arm  It is just bizarre to speculate that service time would be an issue for Tate.

I think it has very little to do with service time and more with being deliberate with promotions/development and getting an adequate number of ABs at each level to map out Sig's projections. Tate, like most of our prospects, isn't in that caliber that you need to be worried about service time manipulation as unfortunate as that is.

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I think it has very little to do with service time and more with being deliberate with promotions/development and getting an adequate number of ABs at each level to map out Sig's projections. Tate, like most of our prospects, isn't in that caliber that you need to be worried about service time manipulation as unfortunate as that is.

This is literally the first time I recall someone suggesting holding a bullpen guy back two weeks to get a seventh year.  If it wasn't WC advocating it I would think they were joking.

45 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Locking up the #1 pick in the 2020 draft.

I know we’re not supposed to discuss trades, but Elias should help the team on that front by July 31st.

Also curious to see if this Davis hot streak is short lived or if he actually resembles a MLB hitter in the second half. Hunter Harvey is a player I’ll be watching in the farm system. 

I personally don’t give a damn about service time. Having said that…

I remember a few years ago, Danny Valencia’s first time on the team, he played third base one day while Manny was injured. The batter hit a hard grounder to third, Danny dove for it and threw a solid strike to first. The throw was slow and late, but it wasn’t a bad play. It just wasn’t good enough. Everybody said, “Manny would’ve gotten that out”  and they were correct, but Valencia is not a great player. That’s the kind of baseball I want to see, clean and fundamentally sound. Our guys aren’t as fast, don’t throw as far, as hard, or as accurately, they don’t hit as well, and so on. But that’s ok for now.

I just want to see clean baseball. Nothing is more frustrating than seeing idiotic play on the bases or on defense. Overthrowing the cut off man, throwing to second when nobody’s there, missing tags, getting picked off, so many things that just make me want to tear out my hair.

I don’t mind losing, but I want to lose honorably.

Also: when the rosters expand, I want to see new guys. Give as many guys as possible their time with the big club. The best thing about this season could be the feel-good stories that come when we call up career minor leaguers and give them a week of real play. It’s not just the money they get, it’s the feeling of “finally.” Even though they know why it’s happening and that it’ll never happen again, it will happen for them that one time.

Until rosters expand, don’t be afraid to designate somebody. If he gets claimed, big deal. Don’t keep calling up the same guys, letting them be awful, and then sending them back down. Call up other guys, and if that requires a DFA, well no one is claiming Worherspoon or Lucas, doubtful they’d claim Hess either. And so on.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Title is pretty simple, but no potential trade talk.  Use one of the other threads if you're going to speculate the massive haul we should be getting for Cashner or why Mancini deserves top 100 prospects in return.

What are you looking for from this team in the 2nd half?  Anything from player performance to guys in the minors, it all goes here.

I’m hoping Davis is gone and Trey moves to 1st base. No more OF for him. Wish I could see some of our young pitchers come up. I guess though that Mike wants them in the minors till next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Probably the same thing most people want to see: the gradual introduction of more guys who COULD be a part of the future getting a chance, like Sisco and Santander are now.  See what DJ Stewart can do this time around.  Watch pitchers move up and continue to succeed in our minors, even if none make it to Baltimore this year.

And yes, I want to win more games than last year.

And I'd like to see John Means continue to do well and compete for Rookie of the Year.

I'd like more of what we've seen the last week...a team that looks like a bad major league tram, but at least looks like a major league team.  More strikes thrown by pitchers.  I like it when today's Wojo outing (4 runs in 5 innings or something like that) is our worst start of the week.  Most weeks this year our worst start has been more like 7 runs allowed including 3 HRs, and a lot of weeks have two such starts.

And I'd like to see our horrific baserunning improve, whether by personnel changes or somehow the coaches getting through to guys.

And we end the season in Boston.  Wouldn't mind seeing us eliminate them on the last day of the season like 2011.

Yes to all of this. Hope Hays gets a look if he stays healthy. 

I must say Chance looks better every game. He had that rough game catching in Seattle but I think he has been looking better in general. 

3 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

The silver linings in the brown turd of a season = high draft picks, the ability to be incredibly patient with prospects, & no reason to ship off an arm like Harvey or abat like Siscos for a rental.

Yes, very happy that there are no illusions of a possible playoff run and the front office makes a short sighted trade. Rebuild all the way and do it right. 

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Akin isn't on the 40.  Why lose someone on the 40 to call up Akin?  If Akin gets called up at some point he's going to get sent back down right?  So you lose an option year on Akin.  It makes all the sense in the world not to call up Akin without involving service time.

As for Mountcastle, who are you going to drop off the 40 and 25 man for Mountcastle?  I'd love to drop Davis for him but somehow I don't see that happening.

Take a look at our 40 man and you could find 15 guys to drop in an instant. Most of those guys wouldn’t get claimed.

I want to see good fundamental baseball with a reduction in bone headed plays. It would be great for Means to continue in his development, and for the BP to improve to some level of respectable. I do note that they have played better baseball over the last ten days, so if that continues, I can live with it.

• Upvote 1