The upcoming 2nd half: What are you looking forward to? (no trades)

Moose Milligan

1 minute ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I know this will be an unpopular opinion among a lot of posters here, but I would like to see him have some modicum of success down the stretch.  He's always seemed like a good guy and he was one of my favorite players during the Buck era of winning baseball.

As far as needing to know right now what his future will be, I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment.  I like that Elias and Hyde are being deliberate in their actions.  We have to pay him regardless (i.e. no money saved by jettisoning him now), so why not see what the roster looks like, Davis included, at the conclusion of the season?  If at that point he's truly blocking someone who absolutely needs to be on the 25, then there's a decision to be made.  I don't personally have any visceral need to see him cut, though.

Rosters expand in September and go to 26 men next season. I don't expect to see Davis go anywhere anytime soon.

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

The playoffs.

3sg0tt.jpg

For the O's to get to 90 wins they'd have to finish 63-10.  The best 73-game stretch in franchise history was a pair of 54-19 runs in 1969.  The Braves have gone 56-13-4.  The Giants' best is 57-15-1.  The Yanks' is 57-15-1.

1884 UA St. Louis Maroons had a run where they were 63-10, but they were a pretty fair MLB team playing in what was essentially an A-ball league.

You might have to readjust your expectations a wee bit.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

For the O's to get to 90 wins they'd have to finish 63-10.  The best 73-game stretch in franchise history was a pair of 54-19 runs in 1969.  The Braves have gone 56-13-4.  The Giants' best is 57-15-1.  The Yanks' is 57-15-1.

1884 UA St. Louis Maroons had a run where they were 63-10, but they were a pretty fair MLB team playing in what was essentially an A-ball league.

You might have to readjust your expectations a wee bit.

Really?  So you're saying there's a chance?  LOL

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Rosters expand in September and go to 26 men next season. I don't expect to see Davis go anywhere anytime soon.

I agree but I don't think he becomes a regular either.  If the O's have guys like Santander, Stewart, and Mouncastle next season that are hitting well at the OF corners.  And 1B Mancini and DH Nunez.   Davis is going to have to out hit someone to play.  Otherwise he is a bench player to fill in when someone is injured or needs a day off.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I think the team next year needs to show signs of growth, 65-70 wins. Bad performance shouldn’t be acceptable after this year, for no other reason than to set the tone. Hopefully Davis will be gone.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I, personally, don't view Davis's threat to being release coming from his spot on the 25-man roster (or 26) as much as the 40-man. The 25-man roster spot only becomes an issue when we are trying to win (or at the least show marketed improvement in W/L record). That doesn't comes in 2020.

Right now there are still guys that can easily be dropped from the 40-man without batting much of an eye, but who all needs to be added in the off season? And do we add any guys that could be 40-man crunch guys at the trade deadline this year?

43 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I, personally, don't view Davis's threat to being release coming from his spot on the 25-man roster (or 26) as much as the 40-man. The 25-man roster spot only becomes an issue when we are trying to win (or at the least show marketed improvement in W/L record). That doesn't comes in 2020.

Right now there are still guys that can easily be dropped from the 40-man without batting much of an eye, but who all needs to be added in the off season? And do we add any guys that could be 40-man crunch guys at the trade deadline this year?

Good point.

I noted that in Sunday’s postgame interview, Gary Thorne asked Brandon Hyde for his evaluation of the first half and he said he’d like to see some bullpen guys step up in the second half.     He feels they’ve underperformed their capabilities.   6.21 ERA at the ASB, and Hyde specifically mentioned that they needed to do a better job of preventing inherited runners from scoring (42% of inherited runners scored, worst in the league).    Among the worst offenders, Richard Bleier has allowed 67% to score, and Castro is at 57%.    Those two account for close to half of the inherited runners who have been allowed to score by our bullpen (29 of 67).    So, I’ll second Hyde’s motion on that score.   

On 7/8/2019 at 10:10 AM, BohKnowsBmore said:

I know this will be an unpopular opinion among a lot of posters here, but I would like to see him have some modicum of success down the stretch.  He's always seemed like a good guy and he was one of my favorite players during the Buck era of winning baseball.

As far as needing to know right now what his future will be, I'm not sure I agree with the sentiment.  I like that Elias and Hyde are being deliberate in their actions.  We have to pay him regardless (i.e. no money saved by jettisoning him now), so why not see what the roster looks like, Davis included, at the conclusion of the season?  If at that point he's truly blocking someone who absolutely needs to be on the 25, then there's a decision to be made.  I don't personally have any visceral need to see him cut, though.

If he could learn how to bunt successfully every time the defensive shift created an opportunity, he could change his fate. Learn to toy with the pitcher and defense, regain control by controlling the at bat with the possibility of a bunt.  He probably wouldn't even have to bunt that much after about a month.  I think he could get back to .350 OBP with this approach.

On 7/8/2019 at 9:10 AM, BohKnowsBmore said:

How about he is keeping Mancini in RF instead of 1st. I don’t hate the man but I’ll be very happy when he is no longer a member of this team.