MLB implementing "stealing first base" rule to Atlantic League

jabba72

11 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

It sounds like a rule from the 1870's that they killed off.

I like it.  Doesn't do any harm and I want to see a guy take off for first while a teammate is already there.

It'll never get to the majors, but at least they're entertaining new ideas for the first time in over a century.  They really would change stuff like this every year from roughly 1870-1905.  Then someone decided that was it, no more rules changes ever.  The rules of 1905 are perfect, no matter what happens we're sticking with that, even if we end up with a game that takes four hours, sees 13 pitchers, 7 home runs, 22 strikeouts, and a right fielder who fell asleep in the 4th and nobody noticed because the ball never goes in play.

So this rule is silly, but good on MLB for trying things.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it would come up often at all but it could lead to some exciting moments.

Maybe not. What is the average time to first base vs. the average time to get a passed ball/wild pitch and throw it to first?

What would make it really fun is to not make it a force out at first base!  Imagine a run down situation with other runners on base. 

30 minutes ago, bird watcher said:

Maybe not. What is the average time to first base vs. the average time to get a passed ball/wild pitch and throw it to first?

What would make it really fun is to not make it a force out at first base!  Imagine a run down situation with other runners on base. 

But if you guess wrong it's an out.  I don't think a lot of guys will go on passed balls.

1 hour ago, bird watcher said:

It also makes pitchers think harder about throwing away pitches in the dirt with 2 strikes (which is probably the biggest reason MLB might want it). 

Why?  They can swing and run on a wild pitch/passed ball with 2 strikes as it is.

The Atlantic League also used some sort of technology to call balls and strikes..the live umpire would make the call if there was a problem with the system. Guess it went pretty well, pitchers thought they got the high strike more than before (could move game along). the computer would relay the call to the umpire. Guess a few times the ball was back in the pitcher's hand before the call was made by ump. On a side note, I was staying near the facility were the Long Island Ducks play (nice facility) and looked them up..Bud Harrelson (Mets and others) is part owner. I looked him up....20 seasons, 2 All Stars, in the top 30 for MVP twice....CAREER HR's--- 7, never more than one in a season. How would that play in today's game?