Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Last I checked he wasn't on pace for it to vest.  Red Sox can manipulate his starts to keep it from vesting pretty easily.

97. 1 innings and needs 187 to convert it to a player option.  Although if he does well, he might be a cheap 5th starter replacement at 10 million  for them next year as the team has the option if he doesn’t get to 187. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Eh...I don’t disagree, but if the Red Sox make the playoffs and he contributes, it’s a game changer. Too early to tell if I like the deal. Don’t even know if we got rid of money. Sounds like we ate some. 

Possible, but Rosenthal is already speculating that he’d be an unlikely playoff roster addition if the Sox make it, given the guys they should get back from the IL by then.

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Definitely is. While I don't think he brings back a guy sniffing the top 100, he should at least bring back a somewhat intriguing guy.

I'd expect another international player, but one who is a bit more accomplished than the two Cashner brought back. Elias really wants to improve the level of international talent. That may be the best way to show Dominican families that the O's intend to be players for top talent next year and beyond.