Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

Just now, MurphDogg said:

That isn't new information. Only new info is the fact that we are paying half of his remaining salary for this year.

I wonder how that works with the incentives?  I'm guessing the O's are paying half the base but the Sox will be responsible for reached incentives.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Philip said:

Do you really think, especially this early in trade season, that we couldn’t have gotten more if we had waited? Even from the Bosox? Anything is possible but I think it is  Very likely we could’ve gotten more if we had waited.

I could argue with you, but let’s just check back in once Jason Vargas is dealt.

Side note, if there was a poll up two years ago that said Cashner or two 16 year olds from Venezuela...

11 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

But we really have no idea what we got.

We got two 17-year-old kids. We haven’t any idea what we got.  We got a pocket full of mumbles, we got stock options from Enron, We got promises of eternal love, we got the hope of eternal salvation, we got two 17-year-old kids who probably don’t speak a word of English.

They are probably nothing. They are lottery tickets, signed for very little, and probably worth less. I’m not even going to bother trying to spell their names, because we probably will never see them again.

I am in the “we could’ve gotten more if we had waited” crowd.

6 minutes ago, theocean said:

That’s interesting. They only save $1.68 million. Not exactly a salary dump - Elias must like the players they got back.

Koby Perez became top international scout for Indians Venezuela and DR in 2013, then became their international cross checker and Director of International operations  before he came to us..there is not a prospect in Venezuela that he has not known about for years...he hopefully was who liked them 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Philip said:

We got two 17-year-old kids. We haven’t any idea what we got.  We got a pocket full of mumbles, we got stock options from Enron, We got promises of eternal love, we got the hope of eternal salvation, we got two 17-year-old kids who probably don’t speak a word of English.

They are probably nothing. They are lottery tickets, signed for very little, and probably worth less. I’m not even going to bother trying to spell their names, because we probably will never see them again.

I'm betting their English is better than my Spanish.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I am glad you are not Koby Perez. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Anyway, I'm going to the store to get some ice cream.  I'll be back to check out the game thread with you bedwetters.

I hope that this trade tempers any expectations for any deals that we might be looking at for the rest of the summer.  Top 100 prospects, you ask?  HAHA!!

I never said we were going to get anything special for anybody, but I was hoping we would get more than this. I would’ve excepted it if the Red Sox had taken all the salary, but it turns out we’re paying over half The remaining money.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wonder how that works with the incentives?  I'm guessing the O's are paying half the base but the Sox will be responsible for reached incentives.

Great question. My guess is the Sox are on the hook for incentives. so it probably does save more than $1.7M.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm betting their English is better than my Spanish.

You have nothing on which to base your bet, but I would imagine that if you went to a Spanish-speaking country you would probably make a huge effort to learn Spanish, and only then would the comparison be worthwhile anyway.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

It doesn’t really matter if we know what we got. Just matters if Elias knows what he got. We’re not privy to all the scouting info they have.

They’re really young. Time will tell. I’d rather have two high-risk, high-reward players than Dillon Tate or somebody like that.

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

The thing is Cashner's market would crash after just one bad start. This is a sell high situation and I understand Elias pulling the trigger early. He didn't have much value even with the hot streak, but if he strings together a couple of clunkers, we wouldn't even get what we got.

• Upvote 1