Not to be whiny, but can we just cut Richie Martin loose already?

DocJJ

Yeah this is one of the times where I'm skeptical of what the defensive metrics are saying too. 

Watching him, it looks like Martin has good range, a strong arm, and makes pretty much all the routine plays.  He's not JJ Hardy but he's not Tim Beckham either.  

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's a minor leaguer, what do people expect? He's a AA infielder whose worst tool is his hit tool. 

Gonna be interesting to see how he fares in AAA next year.

I am extremely curious what we will see next year. He had a terrible go of it in Double-A in 2017 in a similar number of games as he's played this year in the Majors and bounced back in a big way in 2018. I want to see if he can put up a similar sort of bounce back showing in Norfolk next year.

For those of you that like and know how to deep dive in baseball reference...if you feel like looking up how many teams have had 2 sub-.200 hitters with at least 300 AB's in a season I would be curious. Martin and Davis are likely to reach those marks. Wouldn't think it has happened much if ever.

Hard to make adjustments as a minor leaguer in season.  If he is still around you have to figure that the FO sees some things they can work on him within the off season.  Next year he will come back, hit. 330 and we will justifiably ridicule those calling for his release in this thread. ?

One day there will be a statcast or statcast's follow-on that will provide us defensive metrics for the infield like they've done with the outfield and catchers. Once that happens we can finally put to rest how good someone like Martin is defensively. 

I've watched a lot of orioles baseball this year and for the life of me, I don't see a below average defender at SS when I watched Martin. Now, I've learned that my eyes can be fooled which is why I like to use statcast data as much as possible, but unfortunately that data is either not collected or not available t the public yet. 

The new system that's supposed to replaced trackman is supposed to use high speed cameras along with radar and should give us defensive metrics for infielders. Can't wait for that and for them to finally release minor league trackman data! Minor League trackman data is my holy grail of information. 

32 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's a minor leaguer, what do people expect? He's a AA infielder whose worst tool is his hit tool. 

Gonna be interesting to see how he fares in AAA next year.

SSS, but Martin's hitting has been on a steady rise since July 17. (Granted, Hyde has been putting him in the lineup more selectively during that period.)

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

One day there will be a statcast or statcast's predecessor that will provide us defensive metrics for the infield like they've done with the outfield and catchers. Once that happens we can finally put to rest how good someone like Martin is defensively. 

I've watched a lot of orioles baseball this year and for the life of me, I don't see a below average defender at SS when I watched Martin. Now, I've learned that my eyes can be fooled which is why I like to use statcast data as much as possible, but unfortunately that data is either not collected or not available t the public yet. 

The new system that's supposed to replaced trackman is supposed to use high speed cameras along with radar and should give us defensive metrics for infielders. Can't wait for that and for them to finally release minor league trackman data! Minor League trackman data is my holy grail of information. 

I agree, I don't see a below average defender there, either.  He's got good range, he has a really solid arm.  Makes the routine plays, makes some flashy ones.  

If the OH can agree on one thing, it's that his bat isn't good.  And that's ok, we knew that going into this year.  

Maybe he goes to AAA next year to work on offense and comes back at as a utility guy.  

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

Martin has not been one of the worst players in baseball.  He has been one of the worst hitters in baseball.  His defense  is good unless you want to believe some of the advance defensive metrics.

His offense is so bad that he’s one of the worst players in baseball even if you think he’s a solid defender.    

4 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yeah this is one of the times where I'm skeptical of what the defensive metrics are saying too. 

Watching him, it looks like Martin has good range, a strong arm, and makes pretty much all the routine plays.  He's not JJ Hardy but he's not Tim Beckham either.  

Horse Steroids. 

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

His offense is so bad that he’s one of the worst players in baseball even if you think he’s a solid defender.    

I can see you have not learned to separate your offense from your defense.....but Martin has.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, I don't see a below average defender there, either.  He's got good range, he has a really solid arm.  Makes the routine plays, makes some flashy ones.  

If the OH can agree on one thing, it's that his bat isn't good.  And that's ok, we knew that going into this year.  

Maybe he goes to AAA next year to work on offense and comes back at as a utility guy.  

And he makes smart plays that require advanced understanding of situations.  I don't know if his offense will ever be adequate, but I don't trust stats that indicate his defense is a problem.  What Tony said certainly sounds fascinating.  .  

On 8/4/2019 at 11:23 AM, Camden_yardbird said:

I agree that I think a free agent shortstop is in the immediate future.  I dont think you realize how screwed the yankees and red sox are in relation to the cap.  The yankees need to add pitching and I fully expect them to go after Cole.  The Sox would like to keep Betts.  Either of those players is easily a $25 million a year player.  I dont see either retaining their current shortstops.

You dont want any part of Jordy Mercer.

There are also some teams out there with multiple SS prospects and I could see some shifting around of them.  The Pirates comes to mind.

I could see the Orioles signing Galvis and then maybe flipping him at the deadline.

Just now, Yardball85 said:

I could see the Orioles signing Galvis and then maybe flipping him at the deadline.

Does he cost over 600 k per year? Because next season is the one where I do see the pain inflicted. I just do not see them signing veterans for any reason. 

Archived