Adley Rutschman 2019

Greg Pappas

Just an interesting fact, he’s seen 81 pitches in Aberdeen (GCL pitch numbers are incorrect). He’s swung and missed just twice. 

He saw 30 pitches in 4 PAs last night without a whiff, he picks up spin and has the quickness and bat control to foul off quality pitches. 

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Just an interesting fact, he’s seen 81 pitches in Aberdeen (GCL pitch numbers are incorrect). He’s swung and missed just twice. 

He saw 30 pitches in 4 PAs last night without a whiff, he picks up spin and has the quickness and bat control to foul off quality pitches. 

If he's putting the ball in play that often why's his BA only in the .260 range? Is it soft contact or just bad luck?

8 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

If he's putting the ball in play that often why's his BA only in the .260 range? Is it soft contact or just bad luck?

It's really impossible to truly trust MILB gameday but two of his outs last night were a "line drive to center field" and "flies out sharply to center field." Maybe Luke was watching and can confirm.

Edited by LTO's

35 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

We're talking about 18 PA so far at Aberdeen.  That isn't enough to tell us anything useful yet in terms of BABIP or whatever.  Fangraphs says you need a hitter to have around 800!! balls in play before it starts to normalize.

When I saw his debut on Saturday he went 0 for 5 with I think 1 K, some groundouts, and a fly to shallow left?  Might be forgetting another.

That one day makes up a significant portion of his Minor League career so far...........let's give him 2 or 3 weeks before we worry about trends like this.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Basically what Aglets said. I don’t think he’s fully in a grove at the plate yet, but the way he’s hit the ball he could just as easily be hit .330, it’s just random variation.

18 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Basically what Aglets said. I don’t think he’s fully in a grove at the plate yet, but the way he’s hit the ball he could just as easily be hit .330, it’s just random variation.

AKA bad luck, which is what I was hoping to hear. I understand SSS, but good/bad luck can impact any sample size. 

6 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

AKA bad luck, which is what I was hoping to hear. I understand SSS, but good/bad luck can impact any sample size. 

I think bad luck may be the wrong term here.   If you hit a soft, hanging fly ball to the OF and it’s caught, that’s not bad luck.   So it sort of depends on quality of contact.     I’m not sure Luke is saying that Rutschman has hit a bunch of screaming at-‘em balls.   But maybe I’ve misinterpreted him.   

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think bad luck may be the wrong term here.   If you hit a soft, hanging fly ball to the OF and it’s caught, that’s not bad luck.   So it sort of depends on quality of contact.     I’m not sure Luke is saying that Rutschman has hit a bunch of screaming at-‘em balls.   But maybe I’ve misinterpreted him.   

A couple wind in outfield balls too. 

AR went 0-4 last night with 2 Ks, and is now batting .167 / .259 / .208 for Aberdeen. Its only a week’s worth of games, but he didn’t exactly kill it in his short stint in Sarasota either. Is it possible he’s still recovering from the mono?  In any case I doubt they’ll promote him to Delmarva until he starts at least holding his own at the lower level. 

1 minute ago, ShoelesJoe said:

AR went 0-4 last night with 2 Ks, and is now batting .167 / .259 / .208 for Aberdeen. Its only a week’s worth of games, but he didn’t exactly kill it in his short stint in Sarasota either. Is it possible he’s still recovering from the mono?  In any case I doubt they’ll promote him to Delmarva until he starts at least holding his own at the lower level. 

Yes, it is only a weeks worth of games.

Also it is hard to understate how crappy the weather was when he was in Sarasota.

56 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

I have to think that Rutschman is going through an adjustment period personally as well. The guy has lived and played baseball in Oregon his entire life. It's not easy to uproot 3000 miles east. For the first time in his life, there are no friends or family close by. He's here by himself in a totally unfamiliar environment. It takes some time to settle in. 

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Edited: Nice game today, going 2 for 3 with an RBI, two walks and a run scored. 

(Non) prospect Dalton Hoiles with second homer and freaking D3 Toby Welk with 2 hits and a ribbie to raise his BA to .358.

• Upvote 1