Hate to do it but... Dalton Pompey?

interloper

2 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Ok, so you don't think AAA pitchers couldn't expose weaknesses than an AA pitcher wasn't developed enough to attack effectively? Maybe his pitches aren't good enough yet or his command needs too much work. Certainly, MLB pitchers can identify and attack just about any weakness relentlessly, so what if some weaknesses that would have been exposed by AAA pitchers was completely skipped and they go right to the majors where those pitchers not only expose the AAA level weaknesses, but also weaknesses he didn't even know he had. That's a lot to deal with all at once.

I believe, throughout baseball, the stars or potential stars spend most of their development at AA or below. A bit of AAA and off they go. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it is an insurmountable hurdle.  Not even close.  Not to the point where it hinders the player long term.  Sure they might struggle at the ML level a bit more than if they had spent time at AAA, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

I would agree that it's probably not insurmountable, but if that guy comes up to the majors and struggles mightily as a result of that, he may get sent back down and maybe he gets blocked while he's down there or maybe he gets DFA'd. I want guys to be as ready as possible when they get to the major league club, but I see where you're coming from.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, weams said:

I believe, throughout baseball, the stars or potential stars spend most of their development at AA or below. A bit of AAA and off they go. 

Some of the stars don't really need it like the aforementioned Machado's and Markakis's of the world who are developed far more than the average minor leaguer when the get to A ball. It will be interesting to see how Elias manages Rutschman's ascent.

20 minutes ago, weams said:

I believe the good ones, the ones that were destined to be among the 800, handle it fine. And tell you when they are ready. Management of service time and control is another thing. 

Honest question, but what, and this goes for @Can_of_corn as well, leads you to believe that Hays is currently one of those guys? As much as i want him to be good, I'm not sure many people see him the way you do.

12 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Some of the stars don't really need it like the aforementioned Machado's and Markakis's of the world who are developed far more than the average minor leaguer when the get to A ball. It will be interesting to see how Elias manages Rutschman's ascent.

Tell me who needs development on this squad?

And if someone does, What is his age?

34 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Smith is a huge liability on defense and has no elite skills to speak of. Smith isn't looking anything like a major league player.. in any way.

This is the reason I'm personally down on Smith. Not because of 150 PAs. I'd wager his bat could be serviceable on some teams, but his glove being so bad makes him beyond replaceable. 

4 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Honest question, but what, and this goes for @Can_of_corn as well, leads you to believe that Hays is currently one of those guys? As much as i want him to be good, I'm not sure many people see him the way you do.

I'll play. He has been good when not hurt. He appears to be a Nolan Reimold to me. Or a Steve Pearce. So if he is healthy, give him some MLB time. It won't hurt anything. Not like you are saving a clock with him. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I'll play. He has been good when not hurt. He appears to be a Nolan Reimold to me. Or a Steve Pearce. So if he is healthy, give him some MLB time. It won't hurt anything. Not like you are saving a clock with him. 

Much more defensive value than those two. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Tell me who needs development on this squad?

And if someone does, What is his age?

Not sure what the point is. Stewart is the only one I think we should do something with. I'm fine with the rest of it.. except I'd rather not have Trumbo in the organization and certainly not taking up another roster spot on the ML club. We have Davis, that's enough.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

He got some MLB time in 2017 and has been awful performance wise ever since until this year right now in AAA. No harm in letting him finish the year down there and get a real chance to earn a spot on the roster out of spring training. Same with Mountcastle.

2 minutes ago, Sessh said:

Not sure what the point is. Stewart is the only one I think we should do something with. I'm fine with the rest of it.. except I'd rather not have Trumbo in the organization and certainly not taking up another roster spot on the ML club. We have Davis, that's enough.

So, Stewart and Hays up. Bowie plays for a playoff. All is well?

26 minutes ago, weams said:

I’ve looked at this a few times, and it’s a mix.    Manny Machado never played AAA.   Aaron Judge had 689 PA there.    Certainly plenty of elite players either skipped AAA or had only a brief time there.    

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

He got some MLB time in 2017 and has been awful performance wise ever since until this year right now in AAA. No harm in letting him finish the year down there and get a real chance to earn a spot on the roster out of spring training. Same with Mountcastle.

He has been hurt for close to two seasons. He had ankle reconstruction after playing on it for half a year. 

Just now, weams said:

So, Stewart and Hays up. Bowie plays for a playoff. All is well?

I didn't say Hays. I think we should either bring Stewart up and either demote or DFA Smith or trade Stewart somewhere where he can get a chance. I'd rather the former.