Roy Firestone Series (vs. ANGELS, 7/25)

OFFNY

He's got a pretty good curveball when he doesn't hang it and despite the low velocity, has a 7-8mph difference between the FB and change up. That's what you want At least he's mostly staying out of the middle of the plate so far.

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Just for anyone who doesn't know... The Merkle Boner.

Fred Merkle. Don't even know the teams or year, early 20's. World Series. 9th or extra innings, Merkle gets a hit to the outfield that scores the winning run, that wins the Series.

Merkle doesn't run the whole way to 1B. Crowd RUSHES the field. The opposing outfielder fights thru the crowd, literally FISTfights for the ball. Runs it back into the infield and steps on 1B. Ump, still on the field, calls Merkle out. Chicago Cubs I think lose the game and then the next day they lose the Series.

Did this happen in the movie, my friend, or in real life...as in, for sure?

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

Did this happen in the movie, my friend, or in real life...as in, for sure?

In real life, and not the Black Sox like in the movie. 70-80% sure Merkle was playing for the Cubs. Drungo? Help me out here?

8 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Fred Merkle. Don't even know the teams or year, early 20's. World Series. 9th or extra innings, Merkle gets a hit to the outfield that scores the winning run, that wins the Series.

Merkle doesn't run the whole way to 1B. Crowd RUSHES the field. The opposing outfielder fights thru the crowd, literally FISTfights for the ball. Runs it back into the infield and steps on 1B. Ump, still on the field, calls Merkle out. Chicago Cubs I think lose the game and then the next day they lose the Series.

Close. 

Merkle was a rookie and was on first base. He failed to run to second and was out on the force play.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Rob Neyer glancingly referenced "Merkle's Boner" in his book, Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Blunders, promising to deliver further detail on Merkle in a subsequent book to be titled, Rob Neyer's Big Book of Baseball Boners, which he acknowledged would need to be self-published.