Just walk him

Frobby

12 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

At that rate...what, 5 seasons?  5 and a half?  

The thing with Trout is that he hasn't had THAT season yet where it's like...holy #$%^.  Like, Bryce Harper had that season a few years ago where he won the MVP.  The amazing thing about Trout is that he's had a whole career of just pissing excellence all over MLB but hasn't had those one or two career seasons.  I am not sure if he ever will either, because I don't see how he could get much better.  

Trout is one of those rare inner circle guys who could easily win an MVP while he's having just another year.  He's Mays or Mantle or Cobb or Williams.  He could win the triple crown and they'd give the MVP to some guy on the Astros who got some clutch hits because Trout plays that well every year and there's no story there.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Trout is one of those rare inner circle guys who could easily win an MVP while he's having just another year.  He's Mays or Mantle or Cobb or Williams.  He could win the triple crown and they'd give the MVP to some guy on the Astros who got some clutch hits because Trout plays that well every year and there's no story there.

Yes.  Like Michael Jordan could have gotten the MVP every year.  Would have gotten boring.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yes.  Like Michael Jordan could have gotten the MVP every year.  Would have gotten boring.  

Ted Williams was MVP in his best year, and his 6th-best year (at least by rWAR).

Mantle in his 1st, 2nd, and 10th-best.

Mays had three MVPs, but didn't win in four other 10-win seasons.

Aaron's one MVP was in his 8th-best season.

Frank's two awards were in his 3rd- and 4th-best years.

5 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

The thing is, we don't really do iBB's as a team anymore (only Astros have fewer this year).

Tonight tie game, 2 out, man on 3rd, Givens pitched to Trout and struck him out.  Even Thorne and Palmer in the booth started out "no way Trout gets to hit here", then were mildly surprised when we pitched to him.

I had a stroke...lol.   I was even yelling at them to walk him when the bases were loaded in the fifteenth...lol.   

11 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm aware.  Maybe Harper was a bad choice, specifically because Harper and Trout are somewhat linked in the eyes of people. 

My point was that Trout hasn't had one season that stands head and shoulders above the rest, it's a very high level of consistent excellence.  Harper has one year that's clearly better than the rest.  I think most players have a career year or two.  Maybe three or four if they're lucky.  

Trout is in his age 27 season, approaching to be what's considered the prime age for a ballplayer.  It'll be interesting to see if he keeps stringing along seasons like he has or pushes it to another gear in his prime years.  

Bonds. You did not say a  "Bonds" season.  That's' what you were searching for. 

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Trout is one of those rare inner circle guys who could easily win an MVP while he's having just another year.  He's Mays or Mantle or Cobb or Williams.*  He could win the triple crown and they'd give the MVP to some guy on the Astros who got some clutch hits because Trout plays that well every year and there's no story there.

Or Musial or Eddie Murray+.  

11 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

You can say that the CJ Wilson and Albert Pujols contracts had some to do with it, but Arte Moreno really got gunshy for spending after the debacle of Josh Hamilton.  

Heres the problem- they spent $11 million on Matt Harvey, and $9 million on Trevor Cahill this off-season.  Why not combine that and spend it on a TORP that you desperately need?  Or get a decent closer instead of giving $4 million to Cody Allen?  

This is an owner who used to spend with the best of them, and now he's not.  There's really no excuse for it, especially when you have Mike Trout to build around.  

Cody Allen was a VERY good closer through 2017.  He had a down year in 2018, hence the relatively cheap price.  Angels were thinking he might be able to rebound.  It seems like you aren't really identifying a lack of a desire to win, rather you're using hindsight to blast calculated risks/moves that simply didn't work as hoped.

18 hours ago, TommyPickles said:

If the Angels win one World Series during Trout's tenure then his deal was worth it. I think they will.  

The window of Trout dominance is closing fast. By the time he turns 32, he'll be just another aging (but probably still good) player. 

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

The window of Trout dominance is closing fast. By the time he turns 32, he'll be just another aging (but probably still good) player. 

Trout could lose 50% of his value over the next five years and still be a 5-win player at 32.  Trout was an epic player at 22.  Odds are good that he'll still be an annual MVP candidate at 32, barring major injury.

13 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

The thing is, we don't really do iBB's as a team anymore (only Astros have fewer this year).

Tonight tie game, 2 out, man on 3rd, Givens pitched to Trout and struck him out.  Even Thorne and Palmer in the booth started out "no way Trout gets to hit here", then were mildly surprised when we pitched to him.

Trout has never gotten a hit against Givens.  That's probably why they pitched to him.

56 minutes ago, CheeryO said:

Trout has never gotten a hit against Givens.  That's probably why they pitched to him.

Plus Ohtani behind Trout.  Givens has tamed his platoon splits from when they used to be extreme, but I still consider him a couple ticks better v. RHB.

I see the choice last night as driven by more of a generic "We don't do IBB anymore" process than a Trout is 0-for-6 off Givens.