vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/01

OFFNY

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loved listening to Wells and Lowther earlier! Really liked Wells for the humble way he put up with Hunter and Bordick's typical knuckleheadry (did Bordick really think it was funny to do that lame impression of an Australian accent? Such cringe), and Lowther for his attitude re: analytics and his general intelligence. Wells was really nervous but seems like a great kid. 

On another note, bout time we got off of that winning stuff. Back to losing, that's what I like to see. Can't have Detroit beating us out. 

2 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Loved listening to Wells and Lowther earlier! Really liked Wells for the humble way he put up with Hunter and Bordick's typical knuckleheadry (did Bordick really think it was funny to do that lame impression of an Australian accent? Such cringe), and Lowther for his attitude re: analytics and his general intelligence. Wells was really nervous but seems like a great kid. 

On another note, bout time we got off of that winning stuff. Back to losing, that's what I like to see. Can't have Detroit beating us out. 

I thought I was being overly sensitive so I didn't say anything.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I’d really like to replace Mountcastle with Mayo, who I believe will be not only a superior hitter overall, but also a more consistent one, once he gets over his rookie adjustment period.   I think Mountcastle would have decent trade value and we’d be better off cashing in that chip rather than holding it and letting its value decline with the remaining service time.   The big hiccup in my plan - and I do mean big - is that Mayo has played terribly at 1B this year when given the opportunity.   It’s a much easier position than 3B, as Mountcastle himself knows, but for some reason Mayo has struggled mightily there.  I still think I’d risk trading Mountcastle and putting Mayo there, sharing time with O’Hearn next year so that he’s not our only option  if the defense remains really rough.  But I acknowledge there’s some risk there, both offensively and defensively.    
    • This is something that is very very fair.  To be honest, I haven't considered this, but it is dead on.  Same for Wieters, right?  You see these guys are great hitters in the minors, but it is very hard to guarantee that it translates in the pros. Wieters last posted an OPS+ over 100 (101) in his age 29 season.  So its not like catchers always have the longest prime either.
    • Adley is low on my extension priority list, even if he wasn't in a bit of a slump. He is a college draftee, meaning he will be an older FA, and as a C he is going to have a lot of wear and tear on his body. If I am being honest, Adley's defense at C isn't all that great. He is great at blocking but not much else. Plus we have Basallo in the pipeline. I might be interested in buying out one or two years but I doubt his people will be interested.
    • The good news is that the offense has the capability to turn it around. It’s just a matter of will they stop being stubborn, grow up a bit, and change their approach.  We can be the smartest guys in gym shorts in the batting cages this winter. I’d rather the team adjust. We can’t just rely on needing 2+ Homers to win games. 
    • We’ve been watching one the last 52 games. 🥲 Actually, where can I sign up for average?
    • I share some of the frustrations with people here......but context is important. We still have the #3 ranked offense in MLB in runs scored.  We are extremely close to NYY (at 2) and we were ahead of them for most of the year until we started the summer implosion. Now in August to be fair we are at #9 overall so far.  But that is still above average.   If you just look at "post All Star Break" we are #4.   So we are still doing alright overall even recently while I agree that certain individual players are definitely underperforming. Our 14th overall ERA on the other hand.............
  • Popular Contributors