Trusting Elias' Plan

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, Greg Pappas said:

Trusting that our new 'GM' Mike Elias is working towards a well-devised plan is not the same as wearing orange-colored glasses.  Whether it's posters here or Twitter, or elsewhere, some feel the lack of trade progress and/or lack of signing free agents this past offseason is a sign that Elias has been ineffective (or worse).   I believe it was a good call bringing in Elias, as did most industry writers, bloggers, fans, etc.  That hasn't changed for me... not one bit. 

Elias was hired in November and needed to overhaul many aspects of this poorly-run organization.  He was, and still is, understaffed, but is quite prudently taking his time bringing in the right people to fill these positions. Hiring Sig Mejdal was a home run, and the early returns on Koby Perez look very promising.  Elias is wearing multiple hats, so to speak, as he felt the need to be the de facto Director of Scouting for this season, rather than rush to hire someone he didn't really want to.

There is a long way to go to get where Elias and Sig want to be, from filling the aforementioned hires (both off-field and on), to improving our scouting and development departments, to improving our efforts to establish a strong International presence, and to further implement always-evolving analytics.  Elias wasn't given a whole lot to work with, but with his background of success in St. Louis and Houston, I believe he's doing all he can to have this franchise trending up.  I trust that Elias' plan is coming along, slowly, but I'm going to give him the time he needs to enact it.  The moment I believe his plan appears flawed or he makes a series of poor decisions, I'll be the first to speak up about it... as I always have.  I think that's fair. 

Does anyone else feel as I do?

Absolutely the way I feel...and I am even stronger in my positive hire feelings about Koby Perez who may end up being the best hire ME makes. 

Developing and executing a plan requires an architect and team builder.  We are in the laying a foundation phase, not the decorating the master suite phase, but it is very reassuring to feel that ME definitely has a plan and thus far appears to be in as much control of decisions as any GM we have had since Harry Dalton. 

• Upvote 2

I am very on board with the plan.   However, having a good plan isn’t enough; you have to do a good job of carrying out the plan.    E.g., planning to build through the draft is great, but you’d sure better make good draft picks and take the steps to develop them right.    And honestly, it’s going to take a couple years to have any real idea if the plan is being well executed or not. I plan to be a patient fan when it comes to judging that.   

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am very on board with the plan.   However, having a good plan isn’t enough; you have to do a good job of carrying out the plan.    E.g., planning to build through the draft is great, but you’d sure better make good draft picks and take the steps to develop them right.    And honestly, it’s going to take a couple years to have any real idea if the plan is being well executed or not. I plan to be a patient fan when it comes to judging that.   

Right. It's the carrying it out part that's just as essential. Patience isn't easy, but a requirement... and time will tell if he can make it work.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We will have to see how you execute on that plan. I have the same plan, but I just hope the Orioles do a better job carrying out their plan than I do carrying out mine because lord knows I'm going to lose my patience.

I agree with the OP.  Very happy with Elias so far.

I believe @Frobby is correct as well, the plan needs to be carried out well but in this game there's so much left to chance that who knows if it'll happen.  Nothing is guaranteed at all.  

So even if this doesn't work, even if all the picks flop, even if all the J2 stuff doesn't work...at least there was a solid plan in place.  It wasn't something haphazardly thrown together.  IMO, that's all we can really ask for.  

2 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Trusting that our new 'GM' Mike Elias is working towards a well-devised plan is not the same as wearing orange-colored glasses.  Whether it's posters here or Twitter, or elsewhere, some feel the lack of trade progress and/or lack of signing free agents this past offseason is a sign that Elias has been ineffective (or worse).   I believe it was a good call bringing in Elias, as did most industry writers, bloggers, fans, etc.  That hasn't changed for me... not one bit. 

Elias was hired in November and needed to overhaul many aspects of this poorly-run organization.  He was, and still is, understaffed, but is quite prudently taking his time bringing in the right people to fill these positions. Hiring Sig Mejdal was a home run, and the early returns on Koby Perez look very promising.  Elias is wearing multiple hats, so to speak, as he felt the need to be the de facto Director of Scouting for this season, rather than rush to hire someone he didn't really want to.

There is a long way to go to get where Elias and Sig want to be, from filling the aforementioned hires (both off-field and on), to improving our scouting and development departments, to improving our efforts to establish a strong International presence, and to further implement always-evolving analytics.  Elias wasn't given a whole lot to work with, but with his background of success in St. Louis and Houston, I believe he's doing all he can to have this franchise trending up.  I trust that Elias' plan is coming along, slowly, but I'm going to give him the time he needs to enact it.  The moment I believe his plan appears flawed or he makes a series of poor decisions, I'll be the first to speak up about it... as I always have.  I think that's fair. 

Does anyone else feel as I do?

I agree with everything but this.  The farm system has quite a bit to work with when he got here.  Rodriguez and DL Hall are projected a TOR rotation starter.  Means  should be part on that winning team.   Lowther, Kremer Rom, Wells, Sedlock, Knight, Akin could develop into back end starters.   Harvey and Tate could be good relievers.   Not all will make it but there is quite a bit to work with there.

I also think the Mancini, Santander, Nunez, Hays, Diaz  and maybe Severino are piece that may be around when the O's are a winning team again.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree with everything but this.  The farm system has quite a bit to work with when he got here.  Rodriguez and DL Hall are projected a TOR rotation starter.  Means  should be part on that winning team.   Lowther, Kremer Rom, Wells, Sedlock, Knight, Akin could develop into back end starters.   Harvey and Tate could be good relievers.   Not all will make it but there is quite a bit to work with there.

I also think the Mancini, Santander, Nunez, Hays, Diaz  and maybe Severino are piece that may be around when the O's are a winning team again.

I would not say Rodriguez and Hall project as TOR starters.  That would be the ceiling.

• Upvote 1