Baltimore and Maryland Sports Fandom

Greg Pappas

Huge Baltimore Colts and Baltimore Ravens fan, and season ticket holder for the latter for the 24th year in a row (split a plan with others so I go to 3-5 games per year).

I will root for Maryland Terps in any sport as long as they are not playing VIrginia Tech.   I follow their basketball team fairly closely, watch most of their games and like to see them win.   (But I don't refer to them as "we" like a certain other Hokie alumni poster /traitor on this message board).    Really loved them when I was a kid (Buck WIlliams / Albert King era).   Football I'll root for them if I am watching the game but I can't name more than 4 or 5 guys on their team (and they have two transfers from VT) so I can't claim true fandom.

I got into the Blast in the great heyday of the mid 80s (Cooper as coach, Stamenkovic, Stankovic, etc), but haven't watched or attended a game in more than a decade.   I haven't been able to generate any interest for the Brigade.   As much of a football fan as I am, the Arena game just doesn't hold my interest.

Went to some Skippers/Clipjack games as a kid, if we got a hockey team I'd probabaly follow it and go to a few games.

The one team that plays in the state of Maryland that I can't abide at all and actively dislike is the Landover Redskins.

I enjoyed the hell out of UMBC, which is about 3.5 miles from my house, beating UVa in the NCAA tournament.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Orioles,Ravens,New York Giants,Caps, Michigan.

Go Blue! I want to believe all the good chatter I’m seeing about Patterson in camp but it makes me think of “baseballs coming out of hands well” in spring training. I think this is the year to get the Big Ten again finally.

O's and Ravens here. 

I was a Vikings fan for years since they were my team before the Ravens came into town. I always rooted for the Ravens, but took until the post-Favre era before I officially switched.

I've occasionally rooted for the Wizards/Bullets, but they've never been my favorite. I tried getting into both Terps b-ball and Caps, but I'm just not into college sports or hockey. Nothing against them, they just never stuck for me.

O's and Redskins.  

To me, most Ravens fans are just butthurt ex Redskins fans that hate Snyder.  Which is funny, cause they root for a team owned by Angelos.  Some are diehard old Colts fans, that's understandable.  That said, I like the Ravens and root for them if I come across them on TV.  Root for them when they make the playoffs.  M&T is a fantastic stadium, I've thoroughly enjoyed it every time I've been.  

Terps football fans have always been funny.  I don't know of a single fanbase around here that tries so hard to think their team is relevant.  Even Skins fans can't do it as good as Terps fans.