Please Retire, Chris Davis

AceKing

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lemme guess, atomic was making some out of left field comments about Luck?  Or questioning his manhood?  

Hey atomic!!  Ignore feature is working wonders over here.

giphy.gif

If Davis is in camp next year, I am going to have a stroke.  Frobby already said that he'd come visit in the hospital.

I'm not a Mountcastle believer but the dude deserves a shot, as does Hays.  Stewart, provided he doesn't have an awful September, deserves an extended look.  Davis not only doesn't produce but he clogs the roster in a huge, huge number of ways.  IMO, that's more damaging than his albatross salary.  The salary sucks, he's not living up to it and that's that.  Won't be the first player to have a large contract that he doesn't live up to, won't be the last.  But I've got a big ass problem with the fact that he's getting in the way of giving younger players a shot.  And it's not just like he's blocking another 1B prospect, his existence on the roster bleeds into the outfield being clogged, too.

I think Davis probably makes it to spring training next year at least. I want to be wrong about this, but maybe the Angelos brothers will come to their senses in October and tell Elias to do what's best for the team. 

Maybe I am naive but I just can’t see them letting this drag on another offseason and having it bleed into next year. Not like fans will be upset once he is gone. 

I mean if he goes to Spring Training and has a nice spring then  what? It means nothing. Just letting it drag on. He isn’t playing much now. The time for adjustments was 2 years ago. Enough is enough. Best time of year to walk away is the offseason. Nice and clean. 

I think he'll make it to the last year and likely finish out the contract. I don't see him walking away and I don't see the O's eating it either. I think the plan is to be historically bad again next year so, I can see a true pitching prospect coming up here and there but, I don't see any of the position prospects coming up (other than September) until next summer. 

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Maybe I am naive but I just can’t see them letting this drag on another offseason and having it bleed into next year. Not like fans will be upset once he is gone. 

I mean if he goes to Spring Training and has a nice spring then  what? It means nothing. Just letting it drag on. He isn’t playing much now. The time for adjustments was 2 years ago. Enough is enough. Best time of year to walk away is the offseason. Nice and clean. 

It isn't logical for it to have dragged along as long as it has.  Once you remove logic from the decision making process who knows what will come next.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

It isn't logical for it to have dragged along as long as it has.  Once you remove logic from the decision making process who knows what will come next.

I'd argue that Elias and the Angelos sons' handling of Davis has been relatively logical. They inherited a big expensive mess - but I don't fault them for at least seeing if he could turn it around as long as he wasn't blocking someone. It would have been nice to have Mancini at 1B this year, but they kind of needed him in the outfield this year anyway. They were starting Keon Broxton, and Joey Rickard out there this year. Stevie Wilkerson is an infielder at heart. Davis hasn't really been blocking anyone until lately - and now you've started to hear Hyde say he's going to be on the bench more.

I could totally be wrong, but from reading between the lines in what some of the beat reporters are saying, it seems like their patience is running thin. I think they give him another Spring Training, but expect to see adjustments in his approach. If he's doing the same thing next spring, I would not be surprised to see them release Davis. And I've always thought they'd keep running Davis out there till the last year of the contract. The tone seems to have shifted in the little nuggets of information we get through the media.

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

I'd argue that Elias and the Angelos sons' handling of Davis has been relatively logical. They inherited a big expensive mess - but I don't fault them for at least seeing if he could turn it around as long as he wasn't blocking someone. It would have been nice to have Mancini at 1B this year, but they kind of needed him in the outfield this year anyway. They were starting Keon Broxton, and Joey Rickard out there this year. Stevie Wilkerson is an infielder at heart. Davis hasn't really been blocking anyone until lately - and now you've started to hear Hyde say he's going to be on the bench more.

I could totally be wrong, but from reading between the lines in what some of the beat reporters are saying, it seems like their patience is running thin. I think they give him another Spring Training, but expect to see adjustments in his approach. If he's doing the same thing next spring, I would not be surprised to see them release Davis. And I've always thought they'd keep running Davis out there till the last year of the contract. The tone seems to have shifted in the little nuggets of information we get through the media.

I'd have agreed to relatively logical if they had given him to say the all star break.  Not the full season and it sounds as if he's expected back next spring.

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Lemme guess, atomic was making some out of left field comments about Luck?  Or questioning his manhood?  

Hey atomic!!  Ignore feature is working wonders over here.

giphy.gif

If Davis is in camp next year, I am going to have a stroke.  Frobby already said that he'd come visit in the hospital.

I'm not a Mountcastle believer but the dude deserves a shot, as does Hays.  Stewart, provided he doesn't have an awful September, deserves an extended look.  Davis not only doesn't produce but he clogs the roster in a huge, huge number of ways.  IMO, that's more damaging than his albatross salary.  The salary sucks, he's not living up to it and that's that.  Won't be the first player to have a large contract that he doesn't live up to, won't be the last.  But I've got a big ass problem with the fact that he's getting in the way of giving younger players a shot.  And it's not just like he's blocking another 1B prospect, his existence on the roster bleeds into the outfield being clogged, too.

Yeah, I don’t think Davis really prevented any other worthy 1B/DH or OF type from being on the roster this year, but next year is much more of a problem.    Although with rosters expanding to 26, not quite as big a problem as it could have been with a 25 man roster.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I don’t think Davis really prevented any other worthy 1B/DH or OF type from being on the roster this year, but next year is much more of a problem.    Although with rosters expanding to 26, not quite as big a problem as it could have been with a 25 man roster.   

I think having someone in Davis' position around causes potential problems beyond blocking players or using up a roster space.  I don't think it sends a positive message to the rest of the team.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think having someone in Davis' position around causes potential problems beyond blocking players or using up a roster space.  I don't think it sends a positive message to the rest of the team.

What's the message?  Have a few big seasons and get a huge payday?  One should be so lucky.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I concur in that, though I don’t know how big a deal it really is.   Overall, I like my team to be run more or less as a meritocracy.    Which means Davis should be gone.   But when I say “more or less,” that’s where business considerations like service time kick in.   

7 hours ago, weams said:

You’ve got to be kidding if you think there was any involvement of current ownership in that transaction. There was none. Scott Boras went directly to Peter in opposition to the staff that Peter has assembled. Now did Buck and Brady and Jones support it? Probably. Should they have?  That’s why they are gone likely. 

Never said they had involvement in the decision to sign Davis - - -  altho to believe that Brady or Buck wasn't in one of the son's ears or their intermediaries politicking to talk to dad, I find that hard to imagine.  It was clearly all on Peter, tho, to sign him - no one is disputing that.  It has been well established and I agree it, among others is the reason, Buck and Brady and others are no longer here.  That's the good of the situation as it stands.  But the situation is in the sons' laps now.

If Peter is out, then the sons have inherited the problem despite not actually calling for the signing.  That's what I mean about laying it in Dad's lap.  It WAS his decision and whether they agree with it or not, by doing nothing, there it sits.   A reminder of those things you pointed out.  Maybe they don't want to upset him or feel like they would be insulting him or his decision, idk.  But CD on this team is a contradiction to what the sons talked about when hiring Elias.  He is the worst player on the team and, until recently, has gotten full playing time in the midst of auditions galore everywhere else.  Might Mancini have shown ability at 1B?  Anyone else?

It's a bad reminder of the bad old days.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I couldn't agree more!  I've been saying that since the end of last season.  Starting fresh, but keeping the maybe the worst decision of all time in the players' and fans' minds is terrible.  It's not a good example, despite no one below him to push him out.  You could put a coat tree at 1B and the plate and do just as well.  Those headlines and stories would be more enjoyable to read too, I think.

10 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I couldn't agree more!  I've been saying that since the end of last season.  Starting fresh, but keeping the maybe the worst decision of all time in the players' and fans' minds is terrible.  It's not a good example, despite no one below him to push him out.  You could put a coat tree at 1B and the plate and do just as well.  Those headlines and stories would be more enjoyable to read too, I think.

And the interviews - those mindless, never-ending interviews - for sure.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Money owed is the most important factor in if you are on the team.

Is it though? I mean if riding the bench is representative of that factor, then I’d say it sounds underwhelming.

I think guys are smart enough to know what’s going on. 

• Upvote 1