Whither Buck ?

Redskins Rick

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Except that Arrieta has been a bit of an a-hole during his time in Philly, so his views may be discounted.    

An owner directly polling his players about a managerial choice sounds a bit dysfunctional.   But maybe that’s just me.   

Yes. It does. 

13 hours ago, Frobby said:

“Phillies owner John Middleton has reportedly been polling players on their opinions of veteran manager Buck Showalter, according to Jon Heyman of Fancred.

“Heyman notes that Middleton did the same thing before firing Gabe Kapler, and that Showalter has the well-known links to Phillies president Andy MacPhail and other members of the front office.

“The only players on the Phillies current roster Showalter has previously managed are Jake Arrieta and reliever Tommy Hunter, who is a free agent this offseason.”

I doubt Arrieta is going to love the idea.

Showalter looks to have the strongest connection of the trio to Philly’s front office, which is run by former Baltimore executives in Klentak and president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail. In fact, it was MacPhail who hired Showalter to manage the Orioles in 2010. It proved to be a sound decision by MacPhail, as the Showalter-led O’s earned three playoff berths until his ouster last year. Klentak and MacPhail are still Showalter fans, if his status as a finalist for the Phillies’ job is any indication, but he has to win over Middleton as well.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/10/latest-on-phillies-buck-showalter.html

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is a report that the Phillies' job in Girardi to lose.   

No interview for Buck with the Mets yet.    

Sounds like Buck may be headed back to the booth.

From yesterday's New York Post, a list of the current round of candidates for the Mets job that doesn't include Buck:

The list of finalists for the Mets’ vacant managerial seat is taking shape.

Joe Girardi, Carlos Beltran, Eduardo Perez and Tim Bogar are among the callbacks, as the team looks to hire Mickey Callaway’s replacement perhaps within the week.

• Upvote 1

Major League Baseball frowns upon teams making major announcements during the postseason, however, the Phillies could make the announcement between World Series games.

The first two games of the World Series will be played on Tuesday, Oct. 22 and Wednesday, Oct. 23.

Assuming the Phillies are only interviewing Girardi, Showalter, and Baker and all three of the interviews are wrapped up, the earliest the Phillies could make an announcement on the manager would be Thursday, Oct. 24.

If the World Series is over in four games, Oct. 27 would be the next open date that wouldn’t interfere with a game. Should the World Series go to six games there’s be an off-day on Oct. 28 between games five and six.

https://thatballsouttahere.com/2019/10/20/phillies-manager-joe-girardi-buck-showalter/

On 10/19/2019 at 3:51 AM, Frobby said:

Except that Arrieta has been a bit of an a-hole during his time in Philly, so his views may be discounted.    

An owner directly polling his players about a managerial choice sounds a bit dysfunctional.   But maybe that’s just me.   

I think it is fine .  If you are hiring an important position in your organization with big leadership post why would you not ask players who worked with him before on their opinion of him?  Seems it would be unwise not to.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think they made the right call considering the type of manager they were targeting.

Personally, I do not have high esteem for Baker the manager.

I think Buck or Joe will do well in Philly, they want Joe, more power to them, hope it works well.

Joe didnt do too well in Florida and did better in NY, with deep pocket salaries.

Glad he turned down the job here, as I am not a big fan of his.

I think the Philly job will be one, that can show him as a good or not good manager.

Again, just my opinion.

I don’t think Buck is a good choice for any managerial job anymore. Nobody’s talking about who was mostly responsible for the dysfunction here, the absence of specific information we cannot assign all the blame to Buck,  but enough of it was clearly on him that, combined with his disdain for any analytics except for time to the plate, Should be enough to give anybody pause.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I don’t think Buck is a good choice for any managerial job anymore. Nobody’s talking about who was mostly responsible for the dysfunction here, the absence of specific information we cannot assign all the blame to Buck,  but enough of it was clearly on him that, combined with his disdain for any analytics except for time to the plate, Should be enough to give anybody pause.

I find it hard to believe that people want to put so much blame on Buck.

Is Buck perfect, oh hell no.

But, geeze, when Angelos stayed out of the picture, Buck did a pretty darn good job with the talent he had here.

Then the GD Blue Jays came knocking and Peter gets back in the saddle and it goes to hell in a hand basket.