Projected Orioles 2020 Opening Day Payroll (ODP)

AZRon

On 10/9/2019 at 5:21 PM, weams said:

So. Call to math brains. How do you get this down under 45 million?

If you keep Davis,  you can only get to under 50 million by cutting or dealing all of Villar, Cobb,  Givens and Mancini....replacing them with minimum salaries players would cut about 30 million to get to about 47 million.   You cannot really realistically get under 45 with Davis still on the 25 man.  

23 million for Davis leaves 22 million for the remaining  24 spots...at 580k minimum times 24...the absolute low bar with Davis on the 25 would be 13,920,000 added to Chris’s 23 for a total of @almost 37 million...and that would be if ALL players were at minimum except Davis...which is absurd. 

I know we still owe Davis whether he goes or not, but I am just talking about the payroll of the active 25 man roster salaries going into or through 2019...not future owed salaries of players not on the 25 man ...or past debts, etc. 

On 10/9/2019 at 7:21 PM, weams said:

So. Call to math brains. How do you get this down under 45 million?

Trading Villar and Mancini for prospects gets it under $60M.

Hope that Cobb, Bundy, and Givens produce in the first half, then trade them. We will need to pay some cash to get rid of Cobb. That might get us down to $52M.

That's about as low as it can possibly get this year unless we just give away Bundy and Givens. I don't see anywhere else to cut this year. You just can't have a payroll that low when you have one guy earning $23M.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Trading Villar and Mancini for prospects gets it under $60M.

Hope that Cobb, Bundy, and Givens produce in the first half, then trade them. We will need to pay some cash to get rid of Cobb. That might get us down to $52M.

That's about as low as it can possibly get this year unless we just give away Bundy and Givens. I don't see anywhere else to cut this year. You just can't have a payroll that low when you have one guy earning $23M.

Well,  If you trade those two at the deadline, I guess you could get it under 50. Or possibly down to Corn's 47 if you do it early enough. 

On 10/11/2019 at 1:05 PM, Redskins Rick said:

Some think the Orioles are cash strapped and couldnt afford 10.4

Yeah, I'm uncertain why so many posters seem so concerned about besting Tampa Bay for the lowest MLB payroll. The Orioles have already lopped off $100M from their 2017 payroll. Does anyone here have access to Mike Elias's 2020 MLB player budget?

2 minutes ago, AZRon said:

Yeah, I'm uncertain why so many posters seem so concerned about besting Tampa Bay for the lowest MLB payroll. The Orioles have already lopped off $100M from their 2017 payroll. Does anyone here access to Mike Elias's 2020 MLB player budget?

Exactly. If that $10M isn't spent on Villar, is there some better use for it that helps the team's future? I don't accept that the payroll being $55M instead of $65M in 2020 helps the team's future in any meaningful way.

15 hours ago, AZRon said:

Yeah, I'm uncertain why so many posters seem so concerned about besting Tampa Bay for the lowest MLB payroll. The Orioles have already lopped off $100M from their 2017 payroll. Does anyone here access to Mike Elias's 2020 MLB player budget?

Like you, I’m not convinced that the “prime directive” is to make further reductions in payroll.   I don’t think the O’s will part with the few decent veterans they have — the ones the fans glom into during these times — just to save money.   Now, if they get some younger players in exchange who may help the team down the road, that’s another story.   

I’m also surprised how some people are treating the MLBTR estimates as if they’re the gospel.    Villar’s arbitration case didn’t get any stronger just because MLBTR came out with its estimate.   He’s the same player he was last week before that estimate came out.    And he won’t get $10.4 mm.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Like you, I’m not convinced that the “prime directive” is to make further reductions in payroll.   I don’t think the O’s will part with the few decent veterans they have — the ones the fans glom into during these times — just to save money.   Now, if they get some younger players in exchange who may help the team down the road, that’s another story.   

I’m also surprised how some people are treating the MLBTR estimates as if they’re the gospel.    Villar’s arbitration case didn’t get any stronger just because MLBTR came out with its estimate.   He’s the same player he was last week before that estimate came out.    And he won’t get $10.4 mm.

Will he get 10.2?