MiLB contraction

weams

40 minutes ago, Balt-transplant said:

One minor league city that outdraws its size is Dayton, OH.  The low-A Dragons nearly always sell out.

On a different note, it would seem that both York and Lancaster PA would be good alternative sites for the Bowie team if they were relocated.  The major drawback for the Orioles is that keeping a minor league team in Bowie is helpful for creating a fan base in Howard, Anne Arundel and Prince Georges County.

Except that they would be displacing the existing Atlantic League teams in York and Lancaster.

2 hours ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Oh yeah, I understand the population difference and all.  I was just surprised that a minor league team anywhere could draw so well.

In the late 80s or early 90s the Buffalo Bisons in the IL drew over 1,000,000 fans for a number of years in a row.  Buffalo was talked about as a possible expansion site.  Then I guess people realized Buffalo is a rust belt town 2/3rds the size of Milwaukee.

14 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Going back to the original topic...wouldn't it make more sense to move the AAA team to Bowie and let Norfolk go?

More sense than what?  Why would they want to give up a nice ballpark in a reasonably close and large metro area?  That would kind of run counter to the idea that the O's territory runs from York to the South Carolina border.  I guess if they ever put an expansion team in Charlotte Norfolk would be a nice market for their AAA team.

Plus, I think PG County or Maryland would have to upgrade the stadium in Bowie to AAA standards.  I think the capacity just meets the AAA limit of 10k, but earlier in this thread Tony mentioned that it didn't look like they'd done anything to the place in 20 years.  And Harbor Park is much bigger, double-decked, and in my opinion nicer.

10 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

More sense than what?  Why would they want to give up a nice ballpark in a reasonably close and large metro area?  That would kind of run counter to the idea that the O's territory runs from York to the South Carolina border.  I guess if they ever put an expansion team in Charlotte Norfolk would be a nice market for their AAA team.

Plus, I think PG County or Maryland would have to upgrade the stadium in Bowie to AAA standards.  I think the capacity just meets the AAA limit of 10k, but earlier in this thread Tony mentioned that it didn't look like they'd done anything to the place in 20 years.  And Harbor Park is much bigger, double-decked, and in my opinion nicer.

23 hours ago, VaBird1 said:

I wouldn’t want to give up Virginia’s largest urban area.

Good points from both of you.  I was thinking that keeping all of the milb teams in MD could be good for attendance, but it makes sense to hold on to Norfolk.

15 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Good points from both of you.  I was thinking that keeping all of the milb teams in MD could be good for attendance, but it makes sense to hold on to Norfolk.

I read about this somewhere again last eve. It mentioned Hagerstown Frederick, and Delmarva in jeopardy particularly. So I don't know

• 3 months later...