Jealous

Frobby

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s okay to be Jealous but they are also living with a miserable situation with the Redskins. You win some and lose some

by the way... those who cry about the Orioles budget and available money. The Nationals spent $185 million to win the World Series

The Orioles have spent money over the years, but one could argue that they was not fiscally responsible in their spending.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

What are the TV ratings for the NWSL?  Higher or lower than for the Sham-Wow infomercial?  Men's soccer gets some big games with ratings that approach or even eclipse a lot of MLB/NHL/NBA games.  MLS not so much, DC United moved most of their games to an obscure, buggy streaming service.  Women's World Cup gets good ratings.  But women's pro soccer in the US?  It's mostly something you see on MASN or Fox Sports Des Moines when it's the off-hours/offseason and there's no Mountain West college football game to televise.  Even the die-hard women soccer players I know don't regularly watch the NWSL.

A lot of the posters on here don't watch Orioles games.  

23 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

The Orioles have spent money over the years, but one could argue that they was not fiscally responsible in their spending.

Or, they just spent on the wrong guys.   

$210 mm to sign Scherzer = good 

$161 mm to sign Davis = bad

Just now, Frobby said:

Or, they just spent on the wrong guys.   

$210 mm to sign Scherzer = good 

$161 mm to sign Davis = bad

but, it pains me to see other posters claim the orioles are too tight to spend the money.

they spend too freely at times, and times when they should, they don't, and I find it aggravating as a fan.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

NWSL is a joke comparing to MLB ratings. MLB pulls in the millions and NWSL can barely tap 100K

That is a lot more people than watch regular season Orioles games.  It is a new league. I know in your misogynistic mind women can't do anything worth watching.  Baseball viewership is declining rapidly.  None of the first five World Series games even drew 12 million viewers this year.  The 2004 series the minimum viewers for the five games was 23 million.  In 1988 the minimum game viewership was 30 million.  

5 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

but, it pains me to see other posters claim the orioles are too tight to spend the money.

they spend too freely at times, and times when they should, they don't, and I find it aggravating as a fan.

None of us really knows what they could spend on a sustained basis without losing money.    But I think we can all agree that when they’ve spent, they haven’t spent particularly wisely, or in some cases, it just didn’t work out for various reasons.    

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

None of us really knows what they could spend on a sustained basis without losing money.    But I think we can all agree that when they’ve spent, they haven’t spent particularly wisely, or in some cases, it just didn’t work out for various reasons.    

albert belle comes to mind, his was health issues, and they recouped some of that through insurance.

they seam to spend well from 2013 to 2018, but didnt have too much to show for it, they spend as a mid market team, in a small market.

I think with MASN, that allowed them to step up some.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

albert belle comes to mind, his was health issues, and they recouped some of that through insurance.

they seam to spend well from 2013 to 2018, but didnt have too much to show for it, they spend as a mid market team, in a small market.

I think with MASN, that allowed them to step up some.

A ton of deals that were obviously worst then the Belle deal when signed.  Just on last year's team the Davis and Trumbo deals were both awful before the ink was dry.  A lot of the deals they gave to bullpen arms were obvious mistakes from day one.

Belle was a premium bat (if not person) who had no glaring history of injury.

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Not so sure I agree here. I think a big issue Baltimore has is a lack of Fortune 500 companies. It just isn’t that big of a market either. 

Plus with DC having teams it will never happen. 

The city needs a new arena to be able to attract even an AHL team. Not sure that would work either like years ago. The Blast play in Towson now. 

Baltimore would not support an AHL team.  I went to the Bandits games and there were probably 200 fans per game there.  It was empty.  Matt Cullen retired in July and he was the last former Bandit still playing hockey after 21 years in the NHL.   So it has been a long time. I think they could support an NHL team.  It is not like DC would want to support a Triple A baseball team if they didn't have the Nationals. 

Anyway AHL hockey is much more exciting than AAA baseball.  I have been to many Hershey Bears games over the years.   I don't think an arena has to do with anything.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A ton of deals that were obviously worst then the Belle deal when signed.  Just on last year's team the Davis and Trumbo deals were both awful before the ink was dry.  A lot of the deals they gave to bullpen arms were obvious mistakes from day one.

At the time, $55 mill which seams cheap by today's standards, was the richest contract at the time he was inked.

Thats not something a team afraid to spend would do.

Some would argue whether is was wise or not.

Yes, he had no history of injury.

Trumbo does not belong n the same conversation as Davis or Belle. 3 year 37.5 at today's salaries isnt in the same stratosphere as the richest contract or Davis crazy money.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Would it made you feel better if we signed Josh Hamilton instead of Chris Davis to that deal. 

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They seem to sign guys to deals in free agency that no other team wants.  Jiminez, Davis, Cobb were not getting close to the money they got with the Orioles elsewhere.  

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn’t want Belle, mainly because he was such a jerk, but injuries were the furthest thing from my mind when we signed him.   He’d barely missed a game in 7 years before we signed him.   

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

They seem to sign guys to deals in free agency that no other team wants.  Jiminez, Davis, Cobb were not getting close to the money they got with the Orioles elsewhere.  

We’ll never know what other teams offered.     

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

At the time, $55 mill which seams cheap by today's standards, was the richest contract at the time he was inked.

Thats not something a team afraid to spend would do.

Some would argue whether is was wise or not.

Yes, he had no history of injury.

Trumbo does not belong n the same conversation as Davis or Belle. 3 year 37.5 at today's salaries isnt in the same stratosphere as the richest contract or Davis crazy money.

Check out what his peer group got that same offseason.

It was a huge misreading of the market.

I think other teams might not have signed him at all since he would have cost a draft pick.

I think I suggested 2/16 if they had to bring him back.